1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

adding remote start/keyless entry, anyone do this?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by obrut, Nov 14, 2007.

1. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

I have 2000 GMC NBS 2500, my truck has power door locks but does not have keyless entry. I was thinking about adding remote start/keyless entry, is there anything out there that is plug and play? Is there a unit that anyone recommends?

Tim

2. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member

I don't think that there are any that are plug & play but I've done 3 bulldog remotes and I'm in the middle of #4.

Not all that hard if you follow the instructions and they come with a life time warrenty.

A lot of people think poorly of Bulldog but the one in my 88 has worked flawlessly since 1990.

Your vehice will need a secruity bypass unit, follow these instructions to the letter.

3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Yes I did this on my 01 Chevy. Installed a remote starter and a power lock on the drivers side. I like compustar remote starters myself. I had both my 01 and 05 installed, just didn't want to start cutting wires.

Good Luck Mike

4. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member

Was Compustar a plug and play setup? Did you install these or have them installed?

I've got to agree with not wanting to start cutting wires, more so while doing my brother and sisters vehicles. Bad enough if I screw up my own!!

5. oakvillerex

oakvillerex Member

get it installed not worth the hassles and if something goes wrong you can go get it fixed

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Totally agree....

I have a astrostart sytem in my truck....remote start and keyless entry, i have the model with the LCD remote :) it is AWESOME!!!!!

7. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

i had a python 881xp in my last truck, i would not even attempt to install one and i did car audio and video for 3 years, they are a wiring nightmare and many people have burned their vehicles to the ground trying to put one in.

8. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

I'm not worried about the install, I think I should be able to handle that. I was just looking for a simple remote start/keyless entry unit. I think I'm going to do more reading before I buy anything.

9. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Check out Bulldog even if you don't use their starters they may offer a plug in harness for your truck so no ignition wire splices.

10. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I did that on my old S-10, it had power door locks and no keyless entry like yours. LOVED IT. I got a Valet system or as they were known when I got it, as Viper.

11. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

stay away from bulldog they are cheap cheap crap. The one on my truck would start on its own. The one on my brothers car destroyed the starter it kept cranking after the car had started. They are great for a few days/weeks then the turn into sh##.

12. mee315

mee315 Junior Member

I'm on my fifth starter in my fifth truck (four GMC's) and now my Chevy 2500. I have only installed Vipers until now. I had a friend that put in an audiovox prestige. I associated audiovox with garbage and refused. He raved about it. My wife bought me the audiovox for my birthday (of course she asked my buddy which one to get after I got my last truck) so I figured what the heck. Installed it with the keyless module (so I could use the remote start and keyless on one key- FOB) Really easy install and it is by far the best starter I've used to date!!! Great range and easy install directions. Highly recommend this one! Good luck!

13. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

depending on where you are in Illinois, I can do the install for you. I have lost count how many ive done but a guess is around 600 units installed. Also, Viper, Python, Clifford, Sidewinder, are all the same company and are very good. The others thiat I like alot are the compustar and astrostart. I have installed a few compustar and a few astrostarts. They are really solid units.

14. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

get your self a DEI i have a shop this is all we buy and go 2 12volt.com and get your wiring diagram

15. SSCustoms

SSCustoms Junior Member

A 2000 GMC is a relatively easy vehicle to install a remote starter in if you have the necessary parts. But, if you don't feel comfortable with the wiring, find somebody who does them regularly. There is just too many little things that can go wrong.

I own a shop in Iowa City. We are an authorized dealer for DEI and Compustar. One advantage for a customer is the manufacturer's lifetime warranty that is included when we install their remote starter.