1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adding lights to a snowblower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by killed300ex, Feb 11, 2005.

1. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

ok i am looking to put some lights on my toro 724 snowblower my question is will this work is there even any spots to get power to put to the lights. Thanks
  2. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Power off of small engne

On some of the small engines there is a dual stator that generates DC on one stator and AC on the other stator. The AC stator is for lights. The DC stator is for charging the starter battery.

On a Briggs and Stratton engine the DC stator has a diode by the plug at the end of the stator wire. The other wire with no diode is the AC output. The engine is the ground.

Lights don't care what type of electric you use to power them.

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

You have to make sure your engine has a dual coil- If not it won't work.(if it does it won't work for long) 1 single coil is only strong enough to power the ignition system for the engine- if there is a battery start for the snowblower (not a wall current plug in) you might have enough current to run a light wired right off the battery but normally these have a dual coil.

Lights DO care if they're fed AC or DC- DC is more abusive to the filiment so an AC bulb fed DC won't last as long.