1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adding Down Pressure To Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jaynen, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

So I have decided I am gonna add down pressure to my plow because it doesnt have it and I cant back drag worth a crap and gonna be using a polyethylene edge this year. Gonna hook up a 2000lbs winch to pull the plow down and get rid of the chain and swap it out with a solid bar. Is this a bad idea? I did get a quote for a back drag blade and its worth the price but I am tight on money and I would have to outfit it with polyethylene edges as well. So this option looks alot cheaper and my truck will be a little bit shorter. has anyone done this before? Bad idea to use a winch? Other options for down pressure that are better? Any feedback would be great before I start this project. Thanks.

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

With a solid bar instead of the chain when the blade lifts it will cavatate the lift cylinder. I dont know what that will do? You might want to hook it all up and lift on the A-arm a couple of times and then try to lift the plow to see if air got into the cylinder.

3. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Even in float mode?

4. theplowmeister

from MA

Ya, if the the return line is above the the fluid level then it will suck air into the line and Cyl. Also if you have lowering speed adjuster to slow the drop of the plow, it could slow the contour following of the plow.

I'm not saying you will have any of these problems, just be aware they could be a problem.

Is your plow a Trip edge or a full blade trip?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  5. theplowmeister

from MA

How about using the winch to pull back on the trip edge so it is vertical for back dragging

6. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Its a full trip plow.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Your concept requires the winch to pull down. how are you going to position the winch attachment point to pull down? Where are you going to locate the winch itself? will your front end handle the extra weight?

8. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

The winch was gonna pull down on the lift bar with the solid member in place. That will work but I think theplowmeister is right, my cylinder will suck air when it goes up. I would have to some how keep the chain in place and push a member down on the lower a frame which is gonna be to much fabricating. My head hurts, think i should just bite the bullet and get the rear plow. Thanks theplowmeister you saved me from possibly screwin myself the first time out plowing.

9. theplowmeister

from MA

Look into using the winch to trip the plow part way so the cutting edge is vertical. That should make it backdrag a lot better.

10. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

Thats a good idea actually. Would it be wise to go past vertical?

11. theplowmeister

from MA

I think so.

12. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

I may also try a back drag edge and bolt the polyethylene edge on it. The problem I had last year was back dragging slush or wet snow. The plow would just make a pile and matte it down and I couldn't move it.

13. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

14. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

and no.... a snoway will not solve his problems ;)

Its kinda funny I have the exact same plow on one of my trucks and we dont really ever have a problem backdragging... Think its an experience thing

15. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Without being an arse, your idea is hair-brained at best... For all of a few hundred dollars, every other plow shop in town will install a flip down backdrag edge on your plow, which you'd be a whole lot better off with, and it would save you a boatload of money compared to a rear plow. Your other option is to sell your current plow and buy one that either has, or can be easily modified to apply down pressure.

16. toby4492

Since you are going to quote me, who recommended a Sno-Way Chad :confused:
    I don't live in the past, might I suggest you do the same. :waving:

17. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

dont take it personally, That bag of popcorn meant something.... Snoway's the only mfg with downpressure on a front blade... Even tho this smilie is what i think of it :laughing:

18. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

speaking of the flop down backdrag piece, I was looking at the sno dogg (new to me) at the state fair and theirs is very interesting in that it appears to be an approx. 8in. by the width of the blade section of baler or conveyor belt. Its bolted on between the cutting edge and the moldboard with a shorter cutting edge on the bottom side and a couple pieces of link type chain to restrict the amount of fold (like a hinge) allowing the this apparatus to curve the opposite way of the blade for the purpose of backdragging. I was very intrigued by this invention and i was thinking of copying it for myself. You might look into something like that

19. Jaynen

Jaynen Senior Member

I dont think its experience thats the problem, but I have tried everything. Normal snow days were fine it was when we got the heavier wet stuff. If I drove forward towards the garage and dropped the plow my tire tracks lift up the plow and make a hard packed thin sheet. And if I plow towards the garage and make a pile in front of the garage, I cant move it then cuz the plow just rides up over it when I back drag. I'll see if I can find anything on the snow dogg back drage edge. This whole problem started when I decided to switch to polyethylene.

20. toby4492

Everyone here is entitled to their own opinion. Once on the site for sometime it is really easy for members to read through threads and weed out the BS from the facts. In your case the facts are you owned a Sno-Way and it wasn't for you. You sold it and recouped most of your money and have switched to Boss. If DP is such a bad thing why would the OP and many others in the past be looking for ways to put on their plows of different brands? If you want to continue your personal vendetta with Sno-Way fine have at it, just don't make me part of it as I have no dog in that fight.