1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adding Cruise Control

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by long0, Nov 11, 2002.

1. long0

long0 Senior Member

When I purchased my truck (01 GMC 2500 - 8.1 - Allison) last year, I was in a bind, and need a truck quick. I got most everything I wanted, except Cruise. Now, I am looking at adding it. Has anybody ever attempted this. I really don't want one of those cheep'o models from JC Whitney. Looking for some advice on adding the stock components.

I checked all the junk yards around here, and the newest vehicle they have is a 98'. Any other ideas of where I might find the parts?

Thanks,
    Andy

2. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Check with your dealer. I bet they make a factory style kit to add cruise to your truck.
    I don't think a cheapie cruise kit will work on anything too new, too many computers that controll stuff.
    If I get a chance I'll ask my parts guy,
    Mark K

3. long0

long0 Senior Member

I called the two local dealers around here. One said it is not possible, and the other said it might be possible, but they had never done it before. He figured parts and labor would be approx $1,500. :eek:

I've got calls into five other dealerships around the state looking for some more info. Anybody know of any other places to check.

Thanks,
    Andy

4. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

I checked with my parts guy, he said they dont make an add on cruise from the factory. But he has been wrong before.
    He recomended checking with a place that sells aftermarket accessories like automatic starters and running boards and such.

Good luck in your search,
    Mark K