1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adding color to salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by goodlivin33, Nov 10, 2012.

1. goodlivin33

goodlivin33 Senior Member

I have been thinking about adding color to my salt at least to the entry ways and walks. I have a cement mixer and was thinking about making a batch of colored salt but don't know how to color it with powder or liquid. Any thoughts would be great.

2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

What about the blue or green dye that Lesco makes for spraying turf.

3. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Why??????????????????

4. goodlivin33

goodlivin33 Senior Member

For safety/salt verification I've seen bright almost floresent

5. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

6. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Would the colored salt you have seen been treated? Don't really know of anyone that colors it or would color it. The only colored salt is treated. Like Central salts Snow Slicer that is bright purple. Or Clear Lane that is bright green. You also need to make certain that the dye your using won't stain concrete.

7. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

If you do try this, let us know how it turns out. I think it could be a good idea & worth some sort of extra cost. I too would worry about staining of concrete, carpets, customer clothes.

8. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Its is an issue. I use treated salt that has color. It does not stain at all but every customer freaks out about it. I have to really reassure them that it wont stain and that the manufacturer will back me on that.

9. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

We use dye from the company above. It is basically the same kind of stuff used in laundry soap ect. The color is only 4 parts per million and when it dries, there is nothing left. We use it in our liquid deicers.

firewater2.jpg

10. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

exactly.

Besides being bored and wanting something to waste your free time on..