1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adding Ballast Weight

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by phishoook, Dec 14, 2005.

1. phishoook

phishoook Member

HOw much weight for a 810 on a 3/4 ton, Reg cab chevy?

2. drplow

drplow Senior Member

around 700-800 pounds of sand works good. just make sure its behind the axle. the bagged stuff works great. i build a form with 2X4's and fill it with tube sand. 10 to 15 bags is what it takes. i reuse them for about three years before they rip apart. one way to test out if you have enough is to put the truck into two wheel drive and push some snow with it. you don't want to have your front wheels doing all the work. engine and plow weight kills front ends after a few years.

3. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

7-800# I don't find adequete at least with my diesel. I have tried that. What I find best is 1500# thing is a tank. Just keep adding till you find what works for you.

4. drplow

drplow Senior Member

the bigger the truck the more weight you should add. with a diesel, the front end will be heavier so it might be better to add a few hundred pounds extra in the rear.

5. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

Your right dr thats why I mentioned having the diesel.

6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

you talking a 2500HD? Thats actually a 1 ton. I would start with 1000#'s Timbrens up front will help. Blizzard is a similar weight to my old fisher V. My reg cab diesel did fine with that set up.

I duno if I would put a blizzard on an actual 3/4 ton(2500), I'd look into its FAWR first.

Speaking of what is your FAWR?

7. phishoook

phishoook Member

2500HD. All chevys are HD now
    fawr? I don't know, but it will hold it.

8. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Chevy/GMC still make the regular 2500... it actually is a true 3/4 ton truck GVWR of like 8600... I don't know what the axle rating are on those....

9. ratlover

from IL

Yes they still make 2500's(3/4 tons)

FAWR is kinda important....if its not the 4800# front end then I would upgrade the t bars.

10. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

As I understand it, the 2500HD is actually a SRW 1 ton, they stopped making the SRW 1 ton, and made 3500s only with DRWs. However, they recently started making SRW 3500s again, I've seen two, only longbeds, Can't imagine what the difference is between that and a 2500HD. Maybe no more longbed 2500HD? The 2500 non HD was supposed to have been phased out. The 1500HD has the same 8 lug wheels, brakes and 6.0 motor, I can't figure out what is different, frame maybe? I know they are only available with crewcab and shortbed. They finally stopped making the LD2500 with 6 lugs a few years ago, that was kind of redundant. 3500 is not HD, it's just 3500 and all the same components as 2500HD only with DRW. There is a 3500HD, but it is different chassis, higher GVWR, 19.5 wheels and straight axle in front. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I saw a new 3500HD. Maybe those got phased out when they started putting the D-Max in the 4500/5500s. As you might guess, I spend WAY too much time thinking about this. Way too much.

11. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

The LD2500 I believe has a smaller frame than the 2500HD. Like you said the 2500HD has the weight rating as the old school 3500. The 3500 SRW is basically a 2500HD with a body lift (I believe) and it gets 265/75 tires stock. The front axles are the same from the 2500HD to the 3500 DRW.

12. ratlover

from IL

2500 is the old 3/4 ton. It has a different frame than the 2500HD

2500HD is the old 1 ton. It shares about everything with the 3500. The 3500SRW has different tires and springs in the back and its optioned a bit different(no short bed IIRC) There is no body lift ect on a SRW 3500.

13. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

hey guys not to jump in here and thread jack but I have a dodge ram 2500 slt quad cab. It says Heavy duty on the tailgate but not right after the 2500. Would I have the 3500 springs or the 2500 springs? I have the 810 plow and I am having clearance issues. I was thinking about adding the 3500 springs but not if I already have them:dizzy: let me know what you guys think I should do. there should be a serial # on the springs that I can match it up to right?

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

There should be a blue tag with some ## on the spring or you will need to look at your vin#
    As for the springs you have the stock 2500 springs.
    you need to go to the Dodge dealer and get some new ones. (there cheep)
    This has been covered in detail in the Dodge forum.
    you can get any combo of spring you want.
    Like the #47 #48 combo for the 3500 diesel the weaker spring goes on the passenger side.
    James no P.M's ? well any way.. I bumped up the thread on front end saggs in the Dodge forum there is all of the info you will need to make your decision there . Hope this helps.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005