1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adding anti-skid to salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mpriester, Feb 22, 2015.

1. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Wanting to add anti-skid (crushed gravel) to my salt for a little extra traction when needed. Anyone have any ideas on what percentage to add per ton of salt to be effective and keep clean-up to a minimum?
    Thank You

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

3. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Second what mark said. It's not worth anything even in a traction discussion

4. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Some of the guys here use sand when there is a shortage of salt. However I see it as a mess.

5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I use grit bigger then sand smaller then 1/4'' chips

In my V box I load with a small skid loader 5ft wide bucket
    Depending on the temps Cold and cloudy
    Bucket of salt then bucket of grit.

In tailgate Have ran 2 bags salt and 2- 5 gallon buckets of grit.

My grit is pretreated I had 30 ton of that its gone now have plan grit left

Then I use plan grit for few places that doesn't want no salt on there lots. It gives good traction

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  6. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

I plan on using it when there is ice.
    Thank You

7. Mark Oomkes

Here comes the headache, yet again........

You didn't mention that in the original post. I would if salt was in short supply, or there is an inch of ice. The ratio is up to you.

Last time we used sand\salt mix was '94. 50/50, 70/30, 90/10 it all made a mess. Stretched the salt out, but it was not worth it, looking back.

8. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

9. Antlerart06

I used more this year since due to Ice
    Glad I could help

unlike the joker's comment and his crew of jokers. Gives no helpful info but dumb remarks.

10. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Every region calls it something different it seems, but it's typically called torpedo sand/sharp sand/concrete sand. We usually mix it ourselves at about 75% sand, 25% salt. Rarely gets used on pavement, only on gravel surfaces, or when we run real low on salt.

11. Defcon 5

Are you referring to me???......:nono:

I have a Question?.....What is your "Grit" Treated with?....Cinders and Ashes??

12. Antlerart06

Well did you give the OP a comment that was helpful or one that wasn't :dizzy:

And now you want to ask me a Question WoW some people

13. Mark Oomkes

Whew, I thought you were referring to me.........

14. Defcon 5

I will bow to your knowledge on useless things......Since you and a few others are experts on these subjects.......:salute:

15. Antlerart06

Here we go again :dizzy:

Only useless to you I see, Must been helpful to the OP period

So have a good day ,,l,

16. snocrete

snocrete Banned

17. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

18. Mark Oomkes

Ditto........

19. yardlines

yardlines Junior Member

We used to get it from the quarry. Already mixed, about 60% cinders or anti skid and 40 salt. Worked great for us. However, where I'm at we use pure cinders as there called here on all of our developments. They can't afford for us to put salt down. We have large developments with hills and not a lot of houses in them. It would cost them a grand a push to use salt. As far as the mess, they usually wash off and disappear in the grass in the spring. Usually don't have a problem unless we have an icy winter.

20. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Outdated method in my area.Theres a study somewhere that studied the effectiveness and it came back lacking.We just use straight salt,heavy app and it sits there and helps with traction.I loved using sand/salt back in the day,I'd spend a week or two in spring sweeping lots in my bobcat.payup.That got old so I sold my sweeper so I wouldn't have to sweep anymore lol I used to mix it myself,differant mixes depending on situation.If I spread sand/grit now my clients would lynch me!