1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adding a truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Moose's Mowing, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA

So, last winter I toyed with adding a small dump to my little side business. Wasn't sure about it and we ended up with a good winter. I could have done even better with a 2nd truck. I liked the dump idea cause then I'd have it for other things. So almost a year goes by and I'm sitting in the hospital right now with a bad spinal injury. Will have surgery early next week and get fixed up.

ALL of my own accounts are driveways. None of which are straight an easy. they're all tight, uphill and windy. But I make decent $. I also sub for another company doing commercial lots. Works out real well. I currently have a 04 chevy 2500 with a C8 Meyer. As nice as the dump truck would be, my back can't tolerate mulching and any more heavy labor work. Probably just going to focus on mowing, plowing and brush hogging. The dump truck will sort of be useless except for plowing the commercial lots.

I have an entire Meyer 7.5' setup with an e60. Was thinking of rebuilding the pump and looking for a cheap dakota or similar. Seems to be lots of cheaper ones around me right now. I like the idea of a smaller truck to handle the real nasty driveways and I'd run my Chevy on the lots and larger easier driveways. My only issue would be the gamble of another truck without the guarantee of a good winter, and finding a decent guy to operate the 2nd truck. Also, the little dakota wouldn't do much good for me during the 3 other seasons, it'd be pretty much a dedicated plow rig.

Anybody runing a Dakota with a 7-5 Meyer or similar setup? How do they hold up? I have an 04 Cummins as well, but that's my nice truck for camping and fishing. So far so good with that Dodge, Still prefer the Chevy though that things a tank.

Now here's a monkey wrench....I have a small NH tractor 35hp. Nice little machine. Has a loader. For about $1000, I could get a rear mount pto blower and just use that. I don't know where I'd use that setup tho. There's no cab and it'd be miserable using it without one. It'd be too small for the lots, too big for sidewalk work, and too slow to run between driveways without trailering. The last option is to just do nothing and keep everything the way it is. Sorry for the long post, just wanting some opinions.

2. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

You could get a 6.5 plow like they run on jeeps, but I would get a bigger truck if its a dedicated plow truck you can find properties to use it on. Like starting with a 5x7 trailer you always out grow it

3. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA

I hear ya, but I've already got a full size truck and it's really tight on some driveways. I was thinking small and nimble for the driveway rig and keeping the Chevy for the parking lots. A jeep might work well too, more fun to drive in the summertime too!!

4. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Many people have lots if luck plowing with jeeps. My dd is an 06 wrangler and I can't get myself to put a plow on it, it's my baby.

5. NickSnow&Mow

NickSnow&Mow Senior Member

I have no experience plowing trucks since im not 16 but we have a little 30hp johndeere with my fronteir pto blower and you wont have any problems manuvering that in small drive ways. It would also be much cheaper to spend $3000 on the blower than $10000 on a little truck. I only do residental and both the garden tractor and compact are upon station. It sucks at times but is actually kind of nice on clear nights.

6. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Don't know about Dakotas but my old ranger with the 4.0 and a 5 speed pushed great! Super tight turning, and I was doing tight drives the big guys couldn't for really good money. I had a 6'8 Meyer on it and wouldn't go much bigger than that. I now bought a 350 and have had to drop 4 very tight driveways that the truck simply won't fit in, makes me mad but I needed to expand. Wish I could have both. I would go ahead and get a small truck and have you sub in your truck and leave the driveways to a guy you trust in the small truck. I found myself doing 1 less pass with a 8 ft plow when I had to use one last year with te ranger down. So it's not like it will be that much slower