1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

adding a truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cutbetterthanyo, Dec 25, 2010.

1. cutbetterthanyo

cutbetterthanyo Senior Member

At what point do you add a truck to a property that you service? If you have 2 trucks is it better to put them in 2 locations or both on 1 big one? I am new to plowing with a truck and so is my help, i have always used my tractor, but after last years blizzard i am getting alot of work. My fear is putting a guy in a truck buy himself without experance. I would kind of like to keep a eye on him at first, but not sure if my propertys r big enough, we may just get in each others way. The other problem is most of my propertys need salt and i only have 1 salt spreader, what do you guuy think? Is a place that takes a 1.5 hrs big enough for 2 trucks ? What about a 45 min place? or does it depend on the lay out? We only get a few snowfalls a year so i don't want to screw it all up i want to make money on them. I fear with 2 trucks on the same property i will loose buy not being productive, but i also fear that if seperated i will loose money due to damages to property or equpment. What should i do?

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Here is my suggestion. Get your second truck set up and ready to go. Take that truck, and the driver (new guy) and go plow. Show him exactly what is expected of him, and how to do it right. Hopefully it will be a smaller snow where time allows. Then once you have shown him how to do it right, put him behind the wheel, and you ride along to finish your route. Then the next snowfall you should be good to go. Put the new guy on a few smaller lots, and you do the harder stuff. After he gets used to things, you can look at both being on the same lots, but that will mostly depend on the layout of the lot. Even a 1 acre lot may not be big enough for both of you to be there. It all depends on how cut up, or how open the lot is. I have guys running my trucks, that I can put us all 3 in a 45 minute lot, and we couldn't get in each others way if we try, but I also have a 2 acre lot, that we almost trip over each other with only two of us on. I live by the motto Watch one, Do one, then Teach one.

3. cutbetterthanyo

Thats good advice , and something i had thought about. The only problen is this is our first plow of the year and calling for a foot. I don't know if i bit off more than i can chew. I guess and will try to start the storm in training. Maybe put him on his own buy the end if need be.

4. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I've always trained guys to plow by having them ride along with me. As I plow I explain what I'm doing and why. I explain how I approach each lot given its layout and where the snow has to be piled. After a couple of lots, I put them behind the wheel and direct them to a lot. Before we start, I have them explain to me what they're approach is and why. I also stress more than anything, that priority #1 is safety. It only takes a single lapse in attention to cause damage to your equipment, property, or worst of all, a person. After 15 years of plowing, there are still times when I zone out and have to remind myself of this when backing out into the street or across a sidewalk.

5. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Good luck on your first event. That is a heck of a way to start off the season.

6. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

i think it just depends on the circumstances honestly. I will send out all my trucks to our largest account in some scenarios and then sometimes I'll just pretty much leave one truck there most of the night to do it and a few other close lots. If the snow is done and your trying to get everything cleaned up in time for morning I like to send out at least 2 trucks to larger lots. If it's still snowing and your just trying to get a service in time for morning I'll send one truck to one lot at a time to ensure we're covered. It is always a bonus to have a good friend in the business to help you out in a jam or have subs on stand by like we do. The best thing I ever did was network with other guys to sub them and they have already bailed us out once this season and it's just under way!

7. cutbetterthanyo

Well just got our storm it worked out pretty good. I only had one that wanted to be salted during the storm and that was the biggest one. We took the old truck which is the one with the spreader and left it on site. I pushed it once with him in the truck, then did our other stops in my new truck. I pushed, and he shoveled and when he got done he rode with me so he got some window time at those to.The second time, i put him in the old truck and he did half and i did the other half in my truck at the same time .Worked out great. All i can say is i am glad we didn't have a heavy snowfall because i would have took on to much. We pushed the whole time and a while after.He had 19 hrs in, then i did all the salting myself and a few drives after the contract stuff was finished it was near about perfect just really windy. Now it is:drinkup: time