1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

adding a second battery

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by gmcsirrra, Dec 24, 2014.

1. gmcsirrra

gmcsirrra Member
    from maine

with my plow hooked up and even with my auxiliary strobe , reverse lights off the lights on my dashboard are quite dim should I add a second battery what would that entail and what would I need to get ( 2011 Gmc sierra 1500) thank you merry Christmas

2. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

very slim chance a second battery will keep the lights from dimming. Second batterys will only give you more reserve

3. rdfenn3

rdfenn3 Member

I upgraded the size of all the ground wire and positive running from the alt to the battery. I used 0 gauge car audio cable. Cleaned up all the contact points and it helped a lot. I than got a high output alt and there is almost no drop in voltage. Google "the big three" it can explain a lot better than me

4. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

5. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Do the "Big Three" first.

6. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Ok help me out. What is the big three?

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Alt....Alt power wire.....ground the alt with the same wire as the output wire

8. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Do a YouTube Search on it - much easier to watch it. New thicker wiring on Positive Terminal - Negative Terminal and Alternator/Ground...etc

9. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

What did you type into the search bar on youtube?

10. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

raise your plow while in neutral, makes a difference

11. xgiovannix12

is that like having trip edges save your trannys? or welding your chain for down pressure? :laughing:

12. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

nope...less drain on idle so alt performs better....unless you are in a hurry and like fixing stuff....goes back to the days of using a clutch, if your old enough

13. xgiovannix12

eh you do have a point but I dont think it would make much difference.. I do drive stick but never plowed with one.

14. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

15. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

16. JAJA

JAJA Member

nope...less drain on idle so alt performs better....unless you are in a hurry and like fixing stuff....goes back to the days of using a clutch, if your old enough[/QUOTE]

Altos don't perform good at idle period..I think alts perform good from 1200 rpms up depends on the alt biggest thing is what they put out at idle usually isn't enough that's why the voltage drop

17. JAJA

JAJA Member

Plus the wiring isn't big enough