1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

adding a second battery confusion !!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SCAPEASAURUSREX, Nov 28, 2002.

from NJ

yes... I searched and need some clarification...

When I hear hook up in parallel I hear hook positives together and negatives together or negative to ground on block ???? and whats to hook up in series ??? that gives 24v ???

I baught an isolator, but from what i saw on my search, hooking up in parellel prvides more juice when you need it ,like when using the plow and all your lights etc, or when raising an electric dump.....

So please somebody give me a clean discription of how to hook up the dual batteries in parellel cleanly...... Thanks.....

from NJ

also .. what exaclty does this isolator do ??? I have an 85 f150 with factory dual batts and an isolator, and when the main batt goes down, the second one does nothing but sit there and take up space ?? it's fully charged but the truck wont start unless I jump the main batt ... so what s the point of that second one with the isolator.. ????

My problem is with my 95 F250 it has a plow on it and an electric dump insert , and the batt drain is unreal with the dump , the plow isnt too bad , but the lights dim, just want to beef it up so I dont have probs in the middle of a strom or at the dump.... From what it sounds like the dual batt in parellel would solve my drop prob when using the dump or plow .... Or am i more confused than I think .. LOL.... Thanks
  3. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

I have a dual setup on my truck. All I did was hook the positives and the negatives together to double the power of the batteries.
    Haven't had a problem and was a pretty easy install.
    Good luck,
    Mark K
  4. firefighter

firefighter Member
    from Ohio

dual batts

OK, I have to batteries in my truck. The isolator is a diode, the diode lets DC current to flow one way. By the current flowing only way, your second battery will be charged just like your main bat from your alternator. So, the 2nd battery can't and wont be drawn down any because of the isolator (diode), the 12volt current will not flow backwards from the 2nd battery to the first. I installed a heavy duty selenoid between both batteries, if the main battery goes dead I through the switch under the dash, which activates the selenoid and ties the two batteries together in parrallel.

Hooking batteries in parrallel you hook the two pos together and the two neg together. This will increase your battery amps. Hooking to batteries up in series. you hook the pos of one bat to the neg of the other bat. Then you will have a pos on one bat and a neg on another, this will make 24 Volts. Need any more help let me know.

5. J&JProperty

J&JProperty Member

Dual Batteries

The isolator acts as a block between the 2 batteries to prevent both from draining when under heavy loads and yet allows both to charge off of the alternator. Try wiring your dump insert to the second battery so as not to drain the primary battery. On our 88 F250, we set it up with 2 batteries and an isolator, the plow runs from the main battery and the spreader runs from the second on the other side of the isoloator. We have yet to have any dead batteries or fried alternators. Also, if tour primary goes dead all you have to do is hook jumper cables to the second battery.

Hope this helps

from NJ

Ahhh hahhhh Thanks guys for the input... youve cleared up my questions and confusion..... now I know what to do ..... Just gotta figure out wheater I want to mess with moving the intake and resivoirs or just drop it into the bed...... Thanks again for all the help........