1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adding a plow to 5ton military truck advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Suprman, Sep 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suprman

Suprman Junior Member

After the last New England winter I am looking to add a 10-12 foot plow to my 5ton military truck. It's a big truck 6x6 weights in at around 21k and is 8 feet wide. The bumper is just under 3 feet high. I am not going to start out for hire, just for plowing my businesses and then see how it goes. I have no experience with these large plows and mounting to a heavy truck so any advice would be appreciated. I have seen some manual angle plows and others power angle. I am afraid if the plow is not sturdy enough the truck will bend the plow in heavy snow. The truck is 24 volt and has an air system. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
    Will

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

First I will say, you better do some learning about plows & plowing, cause there is no way you could have a "manual angle plow" that is 10-12' also running something that big requires special licence to drive i believe, another thing to check on. A plow that big wont be light or cheap so if you are serious I'd be doing some learning on the subject, your local place that sells plows will be able to give you price & specs you'd need for that vehicle

3. Suprman

Suprman Junior Member

I have used smaller trucks and bobcats for snow removal. The man angle plows I have seen are dot style for highway use. As long as I am not for hire and the whole think weighs under 26k then no special license is required. You are very right dealers want big bucks for these plows. I am looking at used plows there are several around mostly ex municipal set ups at very reasonable prices. I need to figure out which is the best way to go.

4. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

You say it has air if it has air brakes you need a cdl the only way you can drive a truck with no special license is for an rv or farmer exempt

5. rjigto4oje

find out were your county or state trucks get there equipment from

6. Suprman

Suprman Junior Member

There are no Ct or federal regs requiring a special license to drive a non-commercial vehicle with air brakes. The statutes all specify physical weight over 26000 pounds which I will still be under.

7. rjigto4oje

I hope johnny law knows the difference

8. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I imagine there will be sort of fabricating to get a plow onto it as I dont think they are set up for plowing, if you can get a used muni set up, then maybe only challange is that 24v system, how common is 24v system on a large truck?

9. Suprman

Suprman Junior Member

I can modify or convert the electrics to 24v I have done it with other things. Most of the plowing I would do will be straight line. I have seen more manual angle dot style plows than power angle. I wouldn't use it for light snow just the big storms I have use of a smaller truck for light snow. Last year when 3 feet of snow appeared at my doorstep the small plow laughed at me. If it had legs it would have ran away. I had to use the manual snow removal method we shoveled and knocked down at it then snowblew it away. It took a long time.

10. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

FMCSA law states that air brakes require a CDL. Thats federal law, all 50 states.

That being said I know personally of a ton of guys running 4300 Internationals with air brakes tagged under 26k that have never had an issue.

If all you want it for is big snows, I'd build a V plow for that bad boy. It would be unstoppable.

11. Suprman

Suprman Junior Member

The fed regs only apply to commercial vehicles which I am not. I haven't seen any used v plows around that big. Most are manual angle types for highway plowing.

12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Huh? In your first post your talking about plowing your business plus others possible. That would be commercial use of a vehicle. Assuming you are registering the unit under your busniness name, it would a commercial unit and fall under the CDL rules. If registering under personal, what about insurance?

The plow and power are easy.

13. 1olddogtwo

Wow, tip of the iceberg here

If you plow for money, its a commercial business.

I think if were to buy a RV with air brake and used it for personal use, a cdl requirements would be waived.

14. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

The reason they're not getting tickets is because it's perfectly legal, as long as the vehicle is plated under 26K, operated under 26K, and the door tag is 26K or less. Just about every truck manufacturer makes these trucks for a specific reason, people want air brakes/breaks w/o having to get a CDL.......

15. 1olddogtwo

Why does everyone focus on 26,001 when CDL requirements start at 10,001. The 26,001 only is a change in weight or I should say a change in classification.

16. rjigto4oje

Put a cap on it with a bed and call it an R.V
    then you wont have to worry about what license you need And when you get tired of plowing you will have a
    a place to sleep we all have slept in our trucks at one time or another

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  17. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe because it's pertinent to this very situation? The OP is right, he doesn't need no stinkin' CDL for this scenario..........

18. 1olddogtwo

Let fire up my computer and I will post in back in white. It will be clear like the air we breath.....unless you live in California

19. rjigto4oje

If you put a plow on it they may call it a commercial vehicle check first with the dot I have a cdl there are only a few instance were you don't need a cdl farmers rv owners fire department go to the dmv and get a commercial driving book if you have to get a license you would only get a class B getting a cdl is easier than you may think and if you have a cdl and get pulled over 9 out of 10 times they'll cut you some slack P.S if you do get a cdl you will aslo have to get a medical card

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  20. 1olddogtwo

It could be a cab and chassis and its still a commercial vehicle. You need a medical card at 10,001.

Ever hear of commas and periods?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.