1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adding a Inverter??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by wkahler, Nov 4, 2008.

1. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Adding a Inverter to my truck...............1500/3000W, to run my laptop and a cell phone charger for long trips. Was wondering if i should worry about the load on the alternator or anything. The only other thing i am running is normal stuff, and in the winter a plow, mini strobe light bar and possibly a LED in the front window. The laptop will not always be on but the phone charger is going to be used the most.............Let me know guys!!!

Bill

2. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I run a small inverter that plugs into my cig lighter.Runs the laptop fine and even the printer sometimes with no problems.

3. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

If you're going to run a bigger one like the 1500/3000 make sure you hardwire it to the battery, and that you put in a relay or selenoid that only allows it to be on when the ignition is on. One of those size bad larrys will kill a battery in hours if it is left on.

4. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

That is 100% Correct Blue....................Why are you using an inverter that large? You need a 150 watt power inverter to run a laptop, and even that is over kill. A cell phone charger takes nothing for juice. We use a 2000 Watt power inverter in our limousines, and that runs 7 TV Screens, a 2000watt sound system, a fireplace, a karaoke machine, a fog machine, strobe lights, xbox, laser light shows.......need I go on????

You want a MAXX inverter by Vector. Those are the best.