1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adding a 2nd battery

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ramsport1500, Dec 22, 2008.

1. ramsport1500

ramsport1500 Member

Old question, what can I do other than add a 2nd battery for my plow, when I lift or put power to the plow, my lights go dim, My alternator is charging. Is there a benefit to adding a 2nd battery ?

2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

you could upgrade to a high output alternator if you haven't already..is your battery in good condition?

3. tattoofever

tattoofever Member

if yo ugo to a shop that rebuilds alternators they can built a very high ourt put alternator

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Second battery won't hurt but after the fluid warms up you don't notice it as much. Get yourself the bigger battery that can fit and you'll be good to go.

5. Lawnscape PM

Lawnscape PM Junior Member

start with the 30 amp alternator upgrade if you haven't already. The 2nd battery will work but it may kill the old alternator trying to keep up. I had to do both for a 2004 F350.

6. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

check out the chevy forum on adding a second bat and upgrading the alt

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Use the search function on the gray line above. Search: charging, two batteries ect.
    There are hours of reading on the subject from the past.