1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adding a 10ft MM1 to the F600

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ducaticorse, Oct 18, 2012.

1. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Fresh contract came through and I've decided to throw a plow on my old F600. Found one today complete with plates and wiring for real short money.

This is a RWD dump truck with old school military lug style rear tires. I'm wondering how much weight I'm going to need in the back for proper traction. I will also be using this truck for trucking snow so Id like the weight to be easily removable by bobcat. Was thinking of palatalizing cinder blocks or something to that effect if need be.

How much in LBS would you suggest?

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

If you have a couple of old big tires around use those. Tractor tires work great.
    Fill with concrete and insert 3 big u-hooks so you can lift in and out with a chain.

Should maybe even use a plate at the end of the u-hooks so when it cures hard there is no chance of them popping out when lifting.
    Depending on tire size you use that should be plenty of weight and are easy to put in/take out and last for years.
  3. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Pallets would probably be spilled over by the end of the winter. I like reapers idea and i would want 5-6000 pounds in the back.
  4. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Mafia blocks!
  5. ducaticorse

from we

I guess I will be looking for some old tires then....
  6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Yep. Mafia blocks. They already have the lifting points and two of them should be plenty. Not sure what concrete costs there but I guarantee the blocks are a fraction of the cost.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

The problem with mafia blocks is the dimensions and being set on bare steel. If not secured down very well you could have them sliding into the front of the bed causing major damage. Or even sliding back knocking out the tailgate and plopping on the ground.

The rubber of the tires will prevent a lot of the sliding going on and also provide for some bump relief if they do bounce into a sidewall or front of the bed.
    The tires also provide a better weight distribution with no top end weight and having to be secured.

You can find cheap or even free old tractor tires if you look. Big farms and or tire dealers that otherwise would throw them out for recycling. You also can place large rocks in the inner part of the tire before filling with concrete to take up space without losing weight.
  8. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

easy solution to that would be to make a little frame for them out of 2x6s
  9. ducaticorse

from we

My bed is lined with oak boards anyway, won't slip as much as steel.
  10. Black01Z

Black01Z Member
    from VT

Uhh.. I would hope you strap down whatever you put back there.
  11. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

just put 4 yds of 2" washed stone in it it will dump out when u dont need it. more weight the better it pushes. I plow with 2 of them and with 4 to 5 yds of material in the back it will outpush any one ton