1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adding 2nd battery

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by oldmankent, Nov 28, 2013.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Has anyone added a 2nd battery under the hood that is easy to install. Or is the easiest option just to toss it on a frame rail in a box? I want to do one, but I want to do it quick. I'm running 2005 V10. Thanks, nick.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well kinda loaded question. Easy and quick usually don't go together

3. b97ranger

b97ranger Junior Member

Check at a dealership and find a diesel second battery tray

4. oldmankent

I know. I was just hoping. I don't want to relocate anything. Don't mind fabing something up either

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Use the search function above. It's a subject beat to death. Like charging, low power, lights dim and extra battery charging.

6. oldmankent

I did the search. Lots of guys asking about it, but only a couple have done it. Seems like there is always a catch for someone who has done it.

7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Easy way is to relocate the stuff behind the left head light move it back and down and you be able to squeeze a battery in there.

I never did it I just put a bigger amp alternator.

I get in big lots I rather plow with head lights off. I see better and when I work with a other truck, we are not blinding each other with head lights

8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I did a post on this. However this site does not display signatures when posting from a droid. It is more involved than people think to make it look factory.

9. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

10. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Big 3 is a much better upgrade than a second battery to me.

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Why do you need a second battery?

12. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

There trucks are pimp out with lights

13. grandview

Biggest battery that will fit should work. Besides,are you in Vegas that you need that many lights?

14. oldmankent

I leave my sirius satellite radio on overnight alot by mistake. Sometimes, I think the truck won't start the next morning.:rolleyes:

15. grandview

You leave that on and think you'll be dead in the morning,you better buy another battery, Besides does it have and auto off setting like mine?

16. oldmankent

No, its old school. When you leave it on like every other night, your battery doesn't stay good for very long. That is not really why I want to put a second battery in. My fuel economy is around 9-9.5 around town, and I thought another almost 50-60 lbs might get me down to a solid 9 mpg

17. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I try to always tell people to read up on the charging / power issues addressed here in the past. Grounds and cable connections play a big part in charging too. You can buy after market alternators or have yours upgraded for about a $1.25 an amp.(If you have a good shop in area) An alternator only puts out about 1/3 it's rating at idle. We plow just a bit over idle RPM. Your lights and heat blower pull around 20 amps. About 2/3rd's of a 100 amp alternators out put at idle.Having 2 batteries just delays the low voltage end point. You have other issues like an isolator setup to keep the charging and batteries from battling.