1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Added frame gussets, now a new problem?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sixty4, Mar 14, 2011.

1. sixty4

sixty4 Member
    from CT

I added the frame gussets to my 97 silverado plow truck. I am happy I did! My new problem is when I turn the wheel over to full left or right I have a rub (not good). Can I just pick up a set of spacers for the front wheels? Not sure what to do?

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Aftermarket rims? Bigger tires?

3. sixty4

sixty4 Member
    from CT

The truck is bone stock. Same size tires as the originals. I just hate to have to knock off the gussets I welded on. They were even marked for me. Followed the thread and mounted them in the same spot as shown. Its just my luck!

4. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

How bad do they rub? Do you think you could grind the outside edge of the gusset back enough to gain clearance? Make sure you get the edge smoothed off enough so it doesn't cut a tire. Should work.

5. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Since you truck is the OBS, I'd bet you didn't put them in the right spot. The OBS needs 6 separate gussets if I remember correctly. Best bet is to PM B&B.

6. sixty4

sixty4 Member
    from CT

Going down to the garage in the morning. Hard to tell how much to grind down, Maybe better than spacers going this route?
    Yup they are in the correct locations as shown in the original thread,thats why I am stumped.

7. South Seneca

While it's in the shop, get it on a lift and make sure you don't have something loose in the steering that is allowing for more than required steering travel.

Let us know what you find.

8. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

I have the gusset plates installed on my 96 Tahoe. I have a slight rub too. It's only when I have it turned to the left or right at full stop. I just learned not to turn it completely to the stop. Not a big deal for me.

9. sixty4

sixty4 Member
    from CT

YIPEE!
    Ground down the bottom gusset and its perfect! Had to take it down 1/4", I was able to get in there withot removing the tire. Thanks all!!

10. South Seneca

Cool! We like happy endings.