1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Added custom wings to my 8.5 MVP

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dupupp, Dec 30, 2012.

1. dupupp

dupupp Member

I wanted wings but they do not make them for the MVP so I bought a pair for the plus and made them fit. Also added the one piece cutting edge and back drag edge also. image.jpg

image.jpg

2. dupupp

dupupp Member

image.jpg here a photo of the front.

image.jpg

3. dupupp

dupupp Member

Back mount view. image.jpg

image.jpg

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Nice! I was kicking the idea around to buy a set for one of our extreme v's. Have you had the chance to use it with the wings yet? If so do you notice much of a difference in carrying capacity, trail off etc.? I wish my dealer would let me borrow his lot truck, his is set up with a 8.5 ex.v with the wings. Just kind of want to know before we spend 600 bucks and need a new cutting edge before these will work so more like 1k to do this.

5. dupupp

dupupp Member

I have not tried them yet-just finished the install this weekend. I have heard that once you have a v with wings you will never go back! I put them on for the trail off reason-I get tired of not using more of the blade on the longer pushes! I bought the wings used for 300-barely been used-custom one piece cutting edge was 360 and back drag blade was 225. I have used the new cutting edge and back drag and they both work great.

6. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

Did your plow have the old two pieces edges with center flap? If so what did you have to do to get the one piece edges to mount up? Drill new holes or what? And where did you get the edges? Thanks

7. dupupp

dupupp Member

8. ceptorman

ceptorman Senior Member
    from Indy

Very nice workThumbs Up

9. firefighter1406

I figured thats who you got the edges from. They look very nice. I also have thought about fitting a set of the wings to my plow. I figured it could be done, I run a set of prowings on my plow currently.

10. firefighter1406

How does the back drag blade work? I would love to do everything you did. I am wondering how much added stress the 1/2" edges and back drag edge, plus the wings add to the pump. I have the older unimount style MVP.

11. dupupp

dupupp Member

The back drag edge works great. I plow some condos and I have to do all the drives so that is why I put it on. I have not got to try the back drag edge in deep stuff yet. I have been driving around with everything mounted up the last couple of days and everything seems to work just like before I added the extra weight. Truck nor the plow seem affected. I can't wait to plow with it!

12. firefighter1406

Where did you get the backdrag edges from?

13. dupupp

dupupp Member

I bought it from backdragedge.com I believe that is their website-they have a forum for them on this site. I just sanded off the yellow and repainted them black. No yellow on my plow! I do not think they are any better than the backdragedge that western sells.

14. firefighter1406

Probably cheaper that's for sure.