1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Added Blade Weight ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HBLandscaping, Dec 6, 2009.

1. HBLandscaping

HBLandscaping Member

I noticed last night out plowing that my blade just won't stay down while plowing. The blade seems to be bouncing as I go. Lat year I had 1 driveway where it would do it, This year I had a commerical lot and 3 driveways do it. It was a pain in the ass to get all the way down and clear the areas.

I was wondering if I should put some weight on the blade to help ? Anyone else have this problem or know a way to fix it? Anyone had some weight to the blade?

We are going to have a 2 day break before more weather rolls in and I'd like to get it taken care of before the next snow...

Thanks

2. iamhere

iamhere Senior Member
    from Tn

Try adjusting your lift chain or your trip springs.

3. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Mine was bouncing yesterday but I was plowing a lot that had been dirven over many times the night before leaving frozen tire tracks and when I went across them, the plow bounced. In the areas that now had driven on, the plow rode normal.

If your plow is constantly trying to trip, then tighten the springs. If your plow is not completly on the ground with slack in the chain, loosen the chain. Do you maybe have a new cutting edge? Other than having Down Pressure installed, I give up. I'm sure someone else will have a better Idea. Good Luck.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

you could change to a direct lift plow.:nod: any direct lift performs better in that situation. Down Pressure is also a great benefit

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Why kind of plow do you have? Were these gravel lots?

6. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

is the lot possibly uneven?

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

:popcorn: subscribed :popcorn:

8. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

cause that is the only time i've experienced problems with our plows staying down...we use western uni-mounts

9. HBLandscaping

HBLandscaping Member

This lot was graval up until thurs. afternoon and after 3 year it finally got paved so it should be fairly level (top coated on thurs). It is a church lot and it did have some packed down spots from cars driving on it as the snow was falling. The driveways I did are all paved or concrete and I've done them for years with no problems. I have a myers 7.5 w/E60 pump.

I notice that it does great on some driveways/parking lots but bad on others. Its just not going all the way to the ground or is but with really no pressure behind it. Its like you can almost get a peice of paper under it.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe you could get a couple of Grandview's GF's to help you.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hmm. It's a mystery.....

Maybe a couple of cement blocks on the chain would help pull it down?

12. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Bolt on a old cutting edge over the good one. Should add 50 lbs. Just an idea thought about doing it just for back dragging reasons.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Why not add a backdrag edge???

14. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Spray FF on the front of your blade...

Plow.

Instant 75# of snow stuck to it. :rolleyes:

15. tinffx

tinffx Member

That blade probably weighs 750lbs Thats a pretty heavy piece of steel to bounce. You could be going too fast for the lot or you may not have enough slack in the chain.

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How about a pic of your setup.....

17. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

If a 7.5' Meyer wieghs 750lbs then I am much stronger than I thought!!!! I can move my C-8 around quite easily by hand!!

Like others have said, check your chain, trip springs and your cutting edge. Unless your blade was on a diet during the off season, something must have changed. What about the truck? Did you add any lift? Different tires? Sometimes the smallest change in attack angle can do weird things to a worn edge.

18. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

The push angle for your mounts may be too low ?
    Did you change tires ? Lower profile ?
    Your truck sagging more ?
    Not enough ballast in the rear ?

19. HBLandscaping

HBLandscaping Member

I messed with the chain and closed up the gap between the ground and the bottom of the cutting edge but Im still a 1/2 inch from the ground. I can't take any more slack off the chain, then it'll be to much. I didn't change tires (same as last year) same weight in bed.

As for plowing to fast, Nope not it....I plowed the lot with the truck at almost idle speed because it wasn't hitting and sticking to the ground. I was leaving alittle more snow on the ground then I wanted and would like to. It may just be this lot, Now that its newly paved (may be changing the way my blade acts on it) and the snow from yesterday is gone I'll have to go take a good look at it and see if I find any changes in the lot that maybe causing it. It may just be the lot or the paving job that was done. I know they were having it done real cheap through someone at the churches son's company.

There now calling for freezing rain/sleet mix tonight so doesn't look like snow, But they are saying Sat/Sun snow here so we'll see how it does this time around.

Thanks

20. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Are you saying that with the plow in float-it is not touching the ground, there is still tension in the chain? There should be about an inch of lift cylinder exposed when the plow is touching the ground on a flat surface. Is your setup 2 springs? Pics would be helpful so people could see if something is not correct with the setup. Take a pic of the blade touching the ground from the side, so we can see the angle of the a frame with the ground-should be level. Doesn't matter who did the paving, the plow shouldn't be skipping on a freshly paved surface.

I think your chain is simply too tight, so when you hit a bump the plow lifts with the truck, instead of following the contour of the ground. Again, pics would be helpful.