1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Add The Snowplow Shovles or More Blowers?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by born2farm, Nov 17, 2011.

1. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Ok guys here is my dilema. I was asked to give a price on five driveways side by side in a subdivision. They are between 1300 and 1500 sq ft. The only issue is that they do not want a plow on the drives because of the fancy swirl patterns in the concrete and they are worried that a plow will damage them. They wanted to know if I could offer a method that would not damage the drive.

I came up with the thought of using the 36" or the 48" shovel paired up with my 18inch single stage toro. What is your guys opinion on this? We get about 8-10 snows a year and they average 3-4inches a piece with some 8-10inchers mixed in. How much can one guy easily handle with one of these shovels. Would going with the 36" on wheels be better? How about the dual handle 48"?

I am not real worried about the main drive as much as I am the apron by the road. How do these shovels handle the slush from the city trucks? If worse came to worse I could make a pass along the road with my trucks to clear the apron and shovel the main section.

I do not enjoy doing hand work, but getting these drives and the presence in this neighborhood opens me up to about 200 drives in this subdivision. As of right now I need to be able to do 5 drives and hour with two guys to make it worth my time. Eventually I will either switch to a back blade with poly/rubber edge or a inverted blower as I gain accounts in this subdivion.

So help me decide. Do I go with another snow blower and run it along side my 18inch Toro. If so should I go single stage or two stage. Or do you guys think I will be able to get by running Snow Plow shovels with my blower?

Thanks in advance.
  2. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Get a rubber edge for your plow.

3-4" with a 36-48 pusher shovel will be too much if it's the wet crap. An 18" toro will be time consuming for 5 drives.

If it was more than 5 drives and you have a ton of sidewalks I'd suggest getting a 36-48" power broom.
  3. born2farm

Im looking into this option. Any other opinions?
  4. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Move south. :laughing:
  5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

power broom? even the small snow blower? if you have 2 guys that know how to work, go with the shovels, if it takes them longer then a hour to do these they aren't doing them very well. less then 5 min to do a drive with under 3 inches of snow with 2 guys. with a 8 incher, it might take them the full hour, but being honest, I would hope that you could get out there and have them do it before it became 8 inches. If not then get the small snowblower too.
  6. born2farm

I thought about a power broom, but since I have no summer work for one, I cant justify the purchase for five drives. I do not see how my guys would not be able to do five an hour. These are two inch trigger drives, but you know how some people are about telling us to wait until the end of storm. I think ill give those snow pushers a try. If it gets bad we will team up some blowers with the walk crew.

I have heard good things about these shovels, but all equipment has its limitations. In the future ill probably go with a rubber edge back blade, or inverted blower.

7. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

You won't regret it, as a example, 2 of my guys do a 50 unit condo complex in about 2 hours with 2 inches on the ground.
  8. born2farm

What size you run.
  9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Just but a urethane cutting edge and be done with it. Will not damage surfaces and strong enough to plow commercial with.
  10. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

If the rubber cutting edge is anything like rubber on pushers, be careful of the glaze it might leave on the concrete.

Didn't some guy actually have a broom on his Jeep instead of a plow? People gave him crap about it, but I believe his rationale was that he used it on customers with unit paver driveways.

I second the idea of a power broom. Perhaps you can get some reasonable winter rates from an equipment company? (since no one will be using them in the winter) I'm thinking of some sort of walk behind broom, like this:

Rotary brooms are the most amazing snow removal tools I have ever used for clearing walks/small areas.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  11. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

any idea what they go for ?