1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Add plow or not?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cleancutccl, Jan 7, 2005.

1. cleancutccl

cleancutccl Junior Member
    from 6

Right now I have a Chevy 1500, probably getting a '99 f250 sd before next winter, my question is if you will run into alot of problems putting a plow on a 1/2 ton truck. Another question being for a f250 sd i'm looking at a fisher xblade but don't know how heavy or large I should go. I'm on the main streets doing my route and would think anything over 8' would be a pita to drive with, any suggestions from past experience?
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes, you will have more maintenance concerns with a 1500 than the 2500, given all other things being equal. It simply has small parts that wear out more easily.

For that 2500, you will want an 8' plow, whether X-blade or another brand. There are exceptions, but the general rule is:

7.5' for 1/2 ton trucks
    8' for 3/4 tons
    9' for one tons (dual wheel trucks)