1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Add Leaf Spring?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by PeteB4, Apr 13, 2008.

1. PeteB4

PeteB4 Member
    from Maine

2000 F350 SuperCab Front axle 4400. I want to beef it up to at least 5200 maybe 6000. What does it need for a leaf spring(s)?

The rear is fine 6830. I just want to be able to carry more in the front... say 850#. Maybe lift it some too. The rear sits quite a bit higher.

Thanks!

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

springs

add a leaf in the front and 1 in the rear ! it will lift it and give more capacity .:waving:

3. PeteB4

PeteB4 Member
    from Maine

Just 1 in the front? What will that increase the weight to? Is there a site I can go to and see how much each spring adds?

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

spring's

there is a limit to how many leave's you can put in a factory spring ,a tapered leaf has more capacity than a flat leaf . they do make some hd version that are 4 leaf but they would be monster's .i think the sri number is 43-770hd .

5. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

What you need to do is get a set of X-Code Springs from Ford Dealer. Also replace the U bolts and nuts when you do it. These are the springs which came on the F-450 and F-550. They are 6000 lb springs.

Here are the part numbers with quantity needed.

(2) 2C3Z-5310-AF Springs

(4) F81Z-5705-ZA U-Bolts

(8) N805480-S426 Nut

They are cheaper if you order online.

6. PeteB4

PeteB4 Member
    from Maine

Niteman and others, Thanks for the replies. I am going to look for those X springs online right now!

7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

You are increasing the spring stiffness but NOT the axle capacity. The 6000 lb axle has bigger ball joint to handle the extra load, bigger tierod ends, probably a bigger axle tube or have shafts and bigger brakes. The truck frame is probably bigger too. Theirs more to a front end capacity than springs.

8. PeteB4

PeteB4 Member
    from Maine

Plowmeister, would it be wise to upgrade everything you mentioned...sounds like it could be costly but important. I only plow six drives, but I don't want to beat on my truck more than I need to.
    I priced out the X-Code springs, bolts, etc. online 422 plus tax and shipping at newfordparts.com.
    How much would axle, tierods, etc run?

Thanks!

9. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

each 1 adds 800 pounds i think so 1600 total.. thats what the black smith told me when i did mine. i did two on the back only.. i have a chevy no leafs in the front.

10. theplowmeister

from MA

no it would not be worth it to upgrade. Just be aware that while the truck will sit better (level) you have not increased the strength of the F end, or its stopping power.

11. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

The snow plow prep package on the F-250 and F-350 used the X-code Springs and the same axle as the Non snow plow prep. With the snow plow prep the rating was 6000.
    But ya it is true hang 800 to 1000 pound on the front will wear out front end parts faster.

12. theplowmeister

from MA

OK I learned something :eek: I ASSUMED they used bigger axles in bigger trucks. Why buy a bigger truck then just add springs:)

13. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

I do believe the 450 and 550's have differant hubs and brakes but the axle is the same.

14. PeteB4

PeteB4 Member
    from Maine

That's what I was hoping I could do. Anyone have any idea how long it should take the shop to do the springs?

I'll get a price from the spring shop and the ford dealer.

15. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

If you walk into a ford dealer the springs retail for a little over $200 a piece. Another hundred or so for the U bolts and nuts. You could save about 100 ordering them on-line but then there is shipping. Installation will run between 150 and 250. Should take them more than a couple hours to install. Powerstrokeshop.com has good prices.

16. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

17. PeteB4

PeteB4 Member
    from Maine

Niteman and others, thanks for all the responses! This is a great site.
    Is there a difference between adding a leaf spring and getting the X-Code springs? Which would make more sense?...if there is a difference.

18. PeteB4

PeteB4 Member
    from Maine

Bump

Thanks!

19. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

I would get the new X-Code springs. I think they may ride a little better but not sure. From what I have seen add a leafs will only save you a little money.

20. PeteB4

PeteB4 Member
    from Maine

Niteman9
    thanks for the advice. I will start saving this summer and get the x-codes before the next snow!