1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Add heated mirrors?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sabres07, Oct 31, 2008.

1. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

I would like to add heated mirrors to my 2005 Silverado. Currnetly there are no power locks, windows or mirrors. Anyone go through this? I was wondering if there were aftermarket pieces available or should I just go to a junk yard?

2. Ropinghorns

Ropinghorns Senior Member

I would like to add heated wiper blades too!!!!!!!!!

3. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I doubt the truck has the proper wiring provision in place to run the mirrors if you are talking OEM.

4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

If you have the defroster on the rear window,the wires should be inside your doors.Plug and play.If you don't have the defroster, you are SOL.

5. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

Well, I thought that if I had the mirrors, I could run my own "hot" wire to a switch on the dash....I figured someone here would've tried this mod....

6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

No sorry, I bought a ford and they come with it.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can.

Or you can run an aftermarket set of power/heated mirrors that includes the necessary wiring and switches.

8. vincent

vincent Senior Member

9. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

B&B...do you have any recommendations on aftermarkets units? I searched and only found one type....Muth I think they are called.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I like the Power Mirror brand myself as I've installed several sets of them. Nice quality for less cost than the OEM mirrors. No matter what you buy you'll still have to wire the heat part of it yourself since your truck doesn't have the heat wiring or switch already.

11. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

I'll try and search them out...thanks.

12. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I installed a set of the schefenacker towing mirrors. This is the same company that makes the OEM mirrors for ford trucks. I dont have a defroster switch so i wired it up to the aux lamps switch on the dash to control the heaters. I can leave them on as long as i want without having to reset the button as in a defroster. clears them of rain too!! http://www.ttt-mirror.com/

13. rockwood330

rockwood330 Junior Member
    from ohio

i have an 03 2500 hd wit a rear defrost and does not have the heated mirrors .... with the rear defrost do u think i have the wires in the doors for the mirrors ? thanks

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

With the rear defrost option it likely will already have the heated mirror wiring. :nod:

15. rockwood330

from ohio

so from the link that vincent posted above if i get KIT #220-0036-H it should b plug and play .... will i need to add a switch or will the mirrors come on wit the rear window control ? also are the turn signals wires just sitting in the door as well ?

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No 100% guarantee that it will be plug and play so to speak since their were so many mirror configurations/options over the years and I've never used the TTT aftermarket mirrors personally so I can't say if the plug configuration matches all years.

17. rockwood330

from ohio

in your experances what brand do u prefer ?

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

OEM or Power Mirror.