1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Add headlight to Snowblower

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by omahasti, Nov 29, 2007.

1. omahasti

omahasti Junior Member
    from omaha

I just bought a Craftsman 9 hp 28" snow thrower, model # 31AS6HEG799 from the Sears website. Anyway, I have to do three driveways right around my house for older people that have all lost spouses within the last five years & it's a bit dark at each of their houses. This model happened to be one that didn't come with a headlight & I wondered if anyone knew of a way of adding a headlight. I know I could use a rechargable spotlight but I'm afraid even that wouldn't last long enough. Any ideas would help, thanks a bunch!

Dennis

2. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

I have the same exact snow blower

a mag light or similar?
    or
    the $50 headlight sears tries to sell you when yo buy parts
    or
    what i may be doing since i have everything from when i did this to my mower

Parts
    cheap light(s) walmart (tractor - 1 light or Fog light) or northertool
    1 battery (tractor or so size)Sealed lead
    Mabey a Battery box or box to put battery in

*****NOTE I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS YET*****
    use 1 light place some where on snow blower, angle in fron or yo uor hwere ever you choose (drilling may be required)
    mount battery in designated spot
    run wires to light
    run wires to handbars if you choosefor a switch
    cover battery and you ar egood to go

On a side note
    you might want to order the folling parts, they alway seem to break/ wear at the worst time

Skids (2)
    Auger Lever cable (1 +)
    Traction drice lever (1 +)

on the wires that lead to the lever if yo uhace the same as mine they go:
    L
    .I

they break the that little curve

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  3. omahasti

omahasti Junior Member
    from omaha

Thanks for all the info! I may just do the light with the sealed battery, see how long the first one lasts & go from there.

Dennis

4. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

Denis,
    i bought mu battery on ebay and it seems to be ok, i would go to an auto store and get a rechargable sealed lead battery or think about one from ebay (http://stores.ebay.com/Mumfoot-Battery-Wholesale-Supply) this is not the seller i bought mine from but they are the exact same batteries

Here is the link to there 12v batteries http://stores.ebay.com/Mumfoot-Batt..._W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ1993865QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Please do yourself a favor and buy the common wear parts

5. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

Dennis,

You could always pick up a LED head mounted light from Wal-Mart or any sporting goods store. They can be very bright (check the lumens listed on the package), the AAA batteries last a claimed 100 hours, and since it attaches to your head, your hands are free. They sell for less than $20, and you can use it for many things throughout the year. I have one and it works great!

Evan

6. omahasti

omahasti Junior Member
    from omaha

Great idea, will go up & take a look, thanks!

Dennis