1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Add another truck or add a salter....?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by newhere, Nov 21, 2010.

1. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

ok the catch is my only salt truck is not available to salt one of our new lots that requires a two ton drop and than one other small lot that requires a half ton drop. The truck that is plowing these is a f-450 with a 9.5' flat bed. I have two options;

1) buy a used 4.5 yard stainless salter for 2500-3500 bucks (missed a good one and cant seem to find another deal)

2) buy a new 4.5 yard salter for 6500 bucks

3) buy a older ford f-800 i located with central hydros and a belly blade for 3,000. Figure it will cost around 3,000 to get it DOT and road ready and then put a tailgate salter on it that i all ready have. Truck is in fine shape, 58k original miles, county maintained. Almost no rust.

I just cant bring myself to drop 6500 bucks on a salter when i can set up another truck for that amount of money. DEPENDABILITY is the main thing im worried about. What happens when the ford breaks (and it will) and i cant get my lots salter before opening? not good.

maybe that leads to option 4) ford truck and a cheap 8' v-box

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Well along with the 6 grand you'll have in the Ford, you also have to consider license plates, insurance, and an extra driver. I would just spend the 6500 on a new V box, and forget about it.

3. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

What potential accounts can be gained by owning the new truck.

4. newhere

from Fenton

alot................ we do a few other subdivisions that i will probably use this big truck in because the small trucks just work to hard to get the job done. In addition the belly blades really scrape the hard pack off and just do a better job than the front plows.

The company is young and growing so i really think this would be a "growing" step to help out.

Im going to take a look at it tomorrow, that will be a deciding factor.

5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Newhere, did you end up buying a tractor and blower?

6. newhere

from Fenton

I'm sitting on the fence right now, papers are signed tractor has been moved into my dealers lot.... Havnt decided on a blower yet, I would like a pronvost but I can get a nice erk for almost half the price. To add to the equation I have a side walk truck that isn't being used this year. It has a zahn in it with a 4'-8' expandable snow blade, snow bucket, snow blowers and the like. The zahn is small but let me tell you the thing just gets in drives and whips them out so fast because its so nimble. Last season when I got done plowing I would go do drives and steal the zahn because it was just so much easier to do.

Adding to that I havnt been able to find someone to sub my other trucks and machines to but that will be decided tomorrow.

Adding to that a really good size contract still hasn't let me know their plans yet. If they are going with us or using the same clowns. (The tractor was needed for this also)

Bought a lot of "junk" this year and I'm just not sure if I need another loan on top of the pile I allready have.

Shets gona happen fast and furious tomorrow so I will be able to let you know by then.

7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

OK. sounds like you got a lot going on, good luck.