1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

add a leafs or timbrens

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by greeneslawncare, Feb 12, 2011.

1. greeneslawncare

greeneslawncare Junior Member

which is better to prevent sagging when i have my plow installed, add a leaf or timbrens? how about ride quality? my truck is a 1987 f250

2. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

I would recomend the timbrens or something simuliar over the add a leafs. With the leafs they are working constantly and will give a rougher ride when the plow is not on, where the timbrens are designed to have about 1" of travel in the stock suspension before they are active.

3. greeneslawncare

i put my plow mount on today with hoop, lights, and pump and to me the truck looks like its sagging a little already. but its a 87 model so im sure the springs are weak too. so you think the timbrens will raise it back up to level without the blade on and when i put the blade on it will drop about an inch? any help would be great.

4. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Timbrens are alot easier to install than xtra leafs and they work better to. I did both on my half ton

5. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

With no load on the springs the Timbrens should have 1/2" to 1" clearance before they touch the axle. This allows the stock springs to bo the work when thier is no load. Then when there is a load like the plow the timbrens will kick in to help support the weight.

6. greeneslawncare

were is a good place to buy timbrens or maybe get a used set? were i live at in the south we dont have any suppliers close for snow removal parts, because we dont get snow much here.

7. deere615

I brought mine on albany spring best deal I found. Used will be tough as every truck is different

8. greeneslawncare

thanks for all the advice, im going to look around on the net to try and find the best deal on some.

9. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Hold up here. What is your FGAWR, engine type, cab configuration, age/mileage of truck by what size plow? Are your springs old or sagging? Do you have snow plow prep springs already installed?

10. greeneslawncare

my truck an 1987 f250, 5.0 motor, 4 speed, regular cab long bed. over 100.000 miles, does not have the snow plow prep. my blade is a 7.5 meyer classic setup. i bought the truck as a backup truck for landscaping. then a lady that moved here from new jersey had the plow set up so i bought it off of her. we dont get but maybe 2-3 snow falls here every season with no more than 8 inchs most of snow, so the plow will not be on truck but those few times a year.

11. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

One thing to consider is that a ton of people on here are using Timbrens to try and fix a much larger problem. If the springs are not even close to holding up your plow and again alot them wont just adding the timbrens will hold the truck up ok but you will have basically zero suspension just the little bit of give the timbrens have say 1" or so ........................ so at that point you are really driving around just using a 2" rubber to try to compersate for a 6" pothole ???? You may want to wear a crash helmet. I had a friend a few years ago that had weak springs so he took them out and put in a couple of junks of Rock Maple in the center of them and put them back in and he then had no problem with front end sag...................... Timbrens are a great thing to have when you hit something hard but you really need the springs to carry the load and the Timbrens to help in overstressed conditions only .
    I can tell you this if you try to run on the timbrens only the springs dont work correctly and a mechanic friend told me last fall he has been changing out a lot of springs because they are trying to run on just the timbrens ................ something to think about ?????

12. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Extra leaf springs will "prevent" more sagging, Timbren's will prevent sagging after a certain point. IMO, leaf springs will do a better job of preventing the sagging.

13. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

My suggestion would be to get new springs. However, if it is worth it or not is up to you.

14. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I agree w/ Demon. New springs and you're ready for Daytona. Well, not really but its the way to go. For the amount of time you'll have a plow on, add-a-leafs will give you a much harder ride. New springs will keep the factory ride and get rid of the sag.

15. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

I think the boys have answered your question................... in most cases I have seen the price of springs isnt a heck of a lot different than what they want for Timbrens........... new springs that are the correct rating make a huge difference. I upgraded mine just from 3900 to 4100 lbs and the front end went up signifacantly and it now only ever touches the timbrens when I am lifting heavy loads of snow up or after hitting a heck of a bad spot in the road. But the truck has ALOT more suspension travel.
    I think from memory they were only like $145 for the pair ...............
    Good Luck

16. deere615

It also depends on your truck like my trucks the front timbrens are always touching wether theres a load or not so they always prevent sagging. The backones sit up a bit so yes they only prevent sagging after a certian point. but they are only an inch off so it doesnt take much for them to start to help hold a load.

17. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Why do you think that might be? :p

18. deere615

Cause thats the way chevys are designed. the front is actually raised up by the timbren a bit. I will take IFS over SFA anyday:waving:

19. greeneslawncare

thanks to every one for all the advice. i think im going to look into getting new springs and adding some add a leafs to it also. for no more than my plow being on the truck i think that setup will do perfect.

20. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

With new springs, you may or may not need add-a-leafs.