1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Add a leafs on front end of 7.3

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by tugboat609, Jan 18, 2012.

1. tugboat609

tugboat609 Member

Probably been discussed before... I have a 2002 F250 with the 7.3. I want to put a set of add a leafs on the front end to level the truck out. What is the best set to go with? Really don't wanna replace the entire spring on each side. Any help or info is appreciated. Thanks
  2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

The add a leafs give a real stiff ride without the plow attached. I would change the springs. I have them on my 96 and will be replacing them after the season with new springs.
  3. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Thats just what I was going to say,the price for Ford front leafs are very reasonable.Theres 3 differnt ratings I thing 5200,5400 and 6000 lbs.With a Diesel and plow you want 6K for sure.
  4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

My buddie just put an overload on his Ford a few weeks ago. I had a pair from a donor set of springs. It was the big curved one on top of the rear pack. He put it on the bottom with new center bolts. Truck rides great, doesn't squat and lifted it 2" or so.

I went a different route and put on a set of front bags.
  5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I would recommend replacing the springs with "X" springs and doing the airbag route. You can pump up the bags with the plow and air them down when it is off. Whatever you do, don't put Timbrens on your truck. My brother unlawful ds that on his 01 with 5.4 and it is worst ride ever.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  7. tugboat609

tugboat609 Member

I ordered a set of Tuff Country 2.5 leveling spring pack. And replacing the rear blocks with a 4 inch kit. Should be here next week. Will let everyone know how it goes.
  8. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Senior Member

We just go to the local spring shop they add an extra leaf and the trucks sit nice and level. Dont really notice a difference in the ride
  9. gmcdan

gmcdan Senior Member

they make a gadget called a zero rate spring , basically its a 1" spring but its only 5 inches long that bolts to the bottom of the leaf pack that gives you 1 inch lift without changing your spring rate . some might think its a block which is a no no on a front end but since it bolts to the pack its more like a leaf with no ends .

off road design makes it . called " zero rate' add a leaf . good for 1 inch lift .
  10. plowingkid35

plowingkid35 Senior Member

I would skip adding a leaf and put bags in instead, much more bang for your buck.
  11. tugboat609

tugboat609 Member

Just finished the install of the 2.5 inch leveling kit spring pack from Tuff Country, and the 4 inch blocks installed in rear. Truck looks awesome and sits nice. Gotta get some rear shocks and an alignment tomorrow and all should be good. I will let everyone know how it rides. Took 4 hours on install on front and 2 hours on rear. Also undercoated and pulled the front 4x4 hubs apart and greased them in that time frame as well. Truck sits 1 inch taller in the rear than the front which looks real nice!
  12. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

What was the total cost? Lets see some pics...
  13. tugboat609

tugboat609 Member

Total was 339.00 shipped. SD Truck Springs. How do I post pics?
  14. tugboat609

tugboat609 Member

New shocks in the rear and an alignment done! Drives beautiful! Nice firm feel over stock. Doesn't feel sloshy as it did before. Highly recommend this exact setup!
  15. Mnpowerstroke99

Mnpowerstroke99 Member

This is the same kit I put on my truck about 7-8 yrs ago.It rides a little rougher but,looks great.With my plow on it rides real nice and only goes down 1" or so when I raise the plow.It made the truck actually look like 4X4. My 99' F-250 came with the 4" blocks in the rear so I didn't have change the blocks. If the front was any higher though I would have trouble get my Xtreme V A-frame level.
  16. KC2LLW

KC2LLW Member

I have a 2002 with the 7.3, I put on a set of Timbren's seem to help when the plow is on and they were easy to put on and were like $150 for the set.
  17. tugboat609

tugboat609 Member

My front leafs were a little tired anyways so this was a cure for that as well as the weight of the plow. Haven't put the plow on yet to test it out. So far so good though! Love the looks and the ride and the turning radius.
  18. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Has anyone purchased X springs lately and if so where?
  19. doyles

doyles Member

you couls probaly call the local spring shop or the ford dealer.
    one other thought check ebay.
  20. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i had a set of X codes put on my 02 last year after the driver side spring snapped. total cost installed was $575 at perth amboy spring, in perth amboy new jersey.