1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Add a leaf suspension lift

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 78K20, Nov 28, 2004.

1. 78K20

78K20 Member
    from WV

I was thinking of getting an add a leaf suspension lift for my truck. It adds somewhere around 2 inches of lift. Has anyone ever used an add a leaf? Would I be able to run 35 inch tires with this lift. Right now I have 33's and it looks like i could put 35's on. I saw an '86 3/4 ton with no lift running 35 inch buckshots. any suggestions? oh yeah my truck is a 78 3/4 ton.

2. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

I put a set of add-a-leaf springs on the back axle on an '82 Ford and it gave me a couple extra inches of clearance. I can't tell you for sure about your application and if you can use the larger tires. But if you're going from a 33" tall tire to a 35" tall tire, you'd only need an extra inch. Not only would the extra leaf add height from it's sharper bow, it would increase the stiffness, so my gut tells me it would work for you. But I'm only guessing.

It wasn't hard to install those extra leaves, but it did take most of the afternoon for the back two. So you could figure it's going to take all day for all four.

3. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

When I "add a leaf" a actually add a leaf to stack the I have cut to size at a spring shop and arched to suit my needs.

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Last year I had a local spring shop make and install an extra leaf in the front to hold my heavy Boss plow off the ground better (front three leaves were originals still). One leaf per side didn't give enough (only about an inch after settling for a few days) so I took it back and they added a second leaf.... NFG it lifted the truck alright, about 3 more inches and had my suspension topped out when the plow was off!

Rather than go back again, I kept the plow on for the entire season and figured I would deal with it in the spring. Truck drove like an unloaded lumber wagon--enough to pop out your fillings!

Springtime came and I took it apart myself. Seems they used 1/4" springstock for the first spring, and 3/8" for the second! :eek: No wonder it was so rough!

So I figured if the 1/4" one wasn't enough by itself, and both was too much, that I'd pull the first one out and leave the 3/8" one by itself. This seemed to do the trick for me but I haven't been plowing with it since.
    :nod:

5. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I never use 1/4" spring stock in trucks as they are usually 3/8" anyway to begin with. Usually a single 3/8" leaf is enough. I bet that truck looked and drove a bit strange going down the road without a plow on it

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Not like I had a choice, that was what they did. It may have been 5/16" or something, I didn't actually measure it. The point was that one was bigger than the other.... and the smaller one didn't cut it.

7. caz41

caz41 Member

I put the "add a leaf" on my 03 Silverado 1500. It did give me about 2 inches in the rear. Depending on your application, you may still have to do something to the front to get that extra two inches there. I will inform you that it did make the ride a bit rougher. I put it on for pulling my enclosed trailer. It really made it nice pulling the trailer, no more squatting the rear end. Hope this helped.