1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

add a leaf or something??

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by ALEX516, Nov 20, 2004.

1. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

Hi, Have a 95 2500hd cummins, the rear is a tad lower than it should be (i think) I've seen trucks exactly like mine, but not the diesel version and they're sitting about 2" or so higher in the rear..

Am I looking at trucks with a factory optioned 3" lift or soemthing or it mine lower than it should be.

Maybe it's a suspension thing? Mine is the HD which although I don't know if it has any bearing, my truck only drops 3" when loaded with a fisher 2 yard sander carrying 2.3 yards of mix.

I'll be replacing my Factory shocks in the next week or so, and just wanted some info on ride height, would I achieve a 2" lift or so with an add a leaf or soemthing? Forgive me but I'm not at all familliar with lifts and ride heights.

Thanks for reading this

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Ride height or "lift" aside given the load you carry in winter you springs may have "settled" a bit making it look a bit sqwatty. I would suggest that you add atleast one leaf to it on each side that is fully lengthen and up against the base leaf at top of stack. This should raise truck a inch or more unloaded and simularly loaded and improver stabilty as well ( even if it is not really bad to begin with). I have adds leafs to several trucks over the years.

3. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

Add A Leaf

OK, sounds exactly what I am looking for, What exactly would I need to purchase, I mean is the kit actually called "add a leaf" and if so, any recomendations on where to get them and how much should I expect to pay.

Finally, (sigh) :) How har is it to install?

Thanks very much

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Overloads will help for carrying weight also. :nod:

5. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

When I did mine on many occaisions over the years I went to a spring shop and had them cut and drill one to fit. You will likely need a 3" wide x 3/8" thick leaf of the proper length. There are two ways to do this too. One is to remove complete leaf assembly from truck and take it to a spring shop and have them install a new leaf that is about full length of base leaf with "eyes" in it. (you could take whole truck there too but the more they do the more it will cost too) The other way (the way I do it) is to measure the length you need and the location of centering bolt hole in springs and have them make one for you and then you take your springs about (a big 12 inch C clamp helps here) by removing the center bolt and inserting a new leaf in proper place. Always use a new spring centering bolt when doing this and do not get bashfull on its length as it well help you put stack back together and you can cut off excess when you are done. It may sound like a lot of work to do yor self but if you a have a few good jacks, a "C" clamp and some air tools it goes pretty quick. One final note if you remove springs completely you might check bushings in spring ends to see if they need replacemant while out as a spring shop can do that quickly with a big press and make sure you grease the complete bolt in bushing when you reinstall it to make sure it does not rust or seize up if future removal is required. The one leaf described above will add about 1000 to 1500 lbs to your load capacity too. If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me.
    :waving:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2004