1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adapting a plow to another truck...

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Jake T., Jan 1, 2009.

1. Jake T.

Jake T. Junior Member

Hi all;

I'm new to the site and I have a question. I presently have a 7-1/2' fisher minute mount plow mounted to my 1995 Dodge ram pickup. I'm looking to buy a newer Ford truck and want to keep the fisher plow and mount it on the next truck. Can I buy the frame mounting plates and a new harness (if so, where from) and make the swap or do I have other options? The plow I have has the electric motor on the plow that operates the hydraulics.

Thanks;

Jake T.

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Depending on what year ford you buy you may only need an new cross harness

3. bad93blaster

bad93blaster Member

if your buying new most dealers will install the truck side of the plow
    if you have a 2 plug mm u might have trouble getting the harness for a newer truck

4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Pull your plow of Dodge and sell it. Then buy a new for your Ford. A MM1 complete in good condition could pull about 1500 or so now. And a complete MM2 would cost about 2500 for your ford. So if you look at the 1k difference. Its going to cost you about 500-700 to get parts for Ford if you keep old set up. Its really a wash. Sell old plow and buiy a used one. Check Craigslist. If your upgrading truck upgrade plow too

5. Jake T.

Jake T. Junior Member

That sounds good. The pickup I'm looking at is a 2001 Ford F-250.

Thanks;

Jake...

6. Jake T.

Jake T. Junior Member

I do have the 2 plug set-up. Are converter connectors available?

Jake...

7. BigDave12768

The 3 plugs are the insta-acts. I am pretty sure the 3 plug ones can lift and move a 2 plug set up. But the 3rd plug is the lights and turning signal. So you would need ISO. If you buying a truck with the 3 plug set up already on it. I just maybe puting a new set of lights ont he top

8. BigDave12768

Also you wont be all that happy with a 7.6 on a F250 step up to the 8ft

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Insta-act can be two OR three plug depending on age. And the plug count does have to match (both two or both three plug), not compatible otherwise. :waving:

10. bersh

bersh Senior Member

Like others said, I'd just get a new plow. The MM2 is a better setup, easier to put on and off, faster hydraulics, etc. I have a buddy that has a MM1 and my MM2 is just overall a lot easier and nicer to use. Also, he bought his used and the dealer had to do some creative things to get the thing wired up correctly on his truck, and he had a couple spare ground wires that he had to manually attach/unattach every time he mounted/unmounted the plow.

As mentioned, you will be much happier with an 8-9' HD on your 250. The truck will handle it, and you'll be able to run the blade at full angle and you won't be driving over your windrows.

To put the cost in perspective, I swapped my MM2 8'HD from my old 94 to my 04 2500HD. I had to buy new push plates, control module, and most of the new wiring. It was just under $800 for everything, and I installed it myself, saving me $200. The one wiring harness I didn't need was the power harness, and that one runs about $180 (I think). So, to have the dealer put it on, you're looking at about $1200. You'll have to do some digging to figure out if your current setup is worth more intact, or if you remove the plow and all the other parts and sell them separate. If I had to guess, the two will be worth more apart.