1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adapt Meyer plow to skidsteer?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Bobcatter, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Bobcatter

Bobcatter Junior Member

I'm tired of using the bucket, how difficult would it be to adapt a truck snowplow to the Bobcat? I have a chance at a used Meyer snowplow (unseen yet) for $500, "complete". Is anything on the Meyer hydraulic that could plug into the Bobcat Aux? I can weld some, so I know I could use a quick attach plate for the basic mounting point.

Or just look for a used Bobcat snowplow?
  2. Whip

Whip Member

Check out the fabrication forum. I could swear someone has done this here a few years ago.
  3. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

there is a part that someone sells that is a regulator that accepts the hoses from the angling rams to this regulator and then from the regulator to larger hydro hoses with what everstyle plug u got on ur bobcat... prob flat connectors.. then get an attach plate and work from there im sure i could get u some pics but do a search first...

this will be alot cheeper than buying a bobcat brand plow if u have the skills and knowledge
  4. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

If you have the ability to do some fabrication, you could do it yourself. I sold skid steer loader attachments for over 25 years and, while it will require some thought, it shouldn't be too complicated.

As andrewlawnrangr said, you will need to purchase a skid steer universal blank plate. This can be purchased from any skid steer loader dealer, it doesn't have to be a Bobcat dealer. Once Bobcat's patent ran out on their quick attach system everyone in the industry copied it (which was good for the industry particularly the end users) and there is actually an SAE Standard for it (much like a 3-point hitch).

Once you have the plate, you will need to do some fabrication to attach the a-frame to the blank plate. Before you weld the a-frame to the blank plate, be sure that your loader arms are down against the boom stops and the a-frame is parallel to the ground. Most likely, you will also need to have an additional gusset to make it strong enough. Do an on-line search of other skid steer loader plows to get some ideas.

The valve that andrewlawnrangr speaks of is a cross-over relief which simply protects the plow in the event that you hit something with the leading edge. I would strongly recommend that you have one of these in the system. Run the hose from each cylinder to the cross over relief then two hoses from the cross over relief to the auxiliary ports of your Bobcat. Then you can control the plow angle with you auxiliary hydraulics.

More and more people are using skid steer loader plows for commercial jobs. The maneuverability and the stacking heights are two of the biggest reasons. I've had contractors tell me they can do a jobs quicker with their skid steer loader plow that with a pickup mounted plow. I know of two contractors in my area who use skid steer loader plows exclusively for Wal-Mart lots.

Good luck with this project. I hope that this has been of some help to you. Let me know if you have other questions. If you decide the job sounds to complicated, Sno-Way makes an excellent skid steer loader mounted plow.
  5. Bobcatter

Bobcatter Junior Member

Thanks for all you input, I will check out the plow this weekend and look up the info you all suggested.xysport
  6. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

i can get u pics today for u
  7. iplowmore154

iplowmore154 Junior Member

A freind of mine has a bobcat 773. A few years back he got tired of the whole bucket thing. He had a spare forklift rack and he welded and old e47 frame to the rack and a chain arm to the top. only down fall is he has to get out to change the direction of the blade but other than that it works great. I talked to him today and he is considering putting wings on the plow so he wont have to worry about angling anymore