1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

acurate snow totals...?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Raw Fingers, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Raw Fingers

Raw Fingers Junior Member

What do you use to find acurate snow totals? Customer doesn't agree.
  2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

There is too much variance in snow fall to be too accurate. Don't list too many inch amounts on your contract.
  3. Raw Fingers

No choice. The contract reads, 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, etc. In some cases this can be alot of money.
  4. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Better make customer go out and measure it while your standing there.

Do your charge each push or just storm total????
  5. Raw Fingers

Storm total. There has to be a web site that posts that info. ?

JPMAKO Senior Member

7. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

In my area the NWS lists storm totals at CVG(Cincinnati's area airport). It is over 30 miles away and can easily be 4-6" off on my total at the shop.

We use only one depth break. less than 6" or over 6" . We charge by the push, if it's over 6" when we start that push it's charged at the higher rate.....
  8. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

Check with your local DPW yard.the city should keep records of all snow falls...
  9. Hamptonplow

Hamptonplow Member

My contracts say that I am the sole source in determining the depth of snow plowed. I also specify that any snow that has drifted in counts toward the total. I'm very fair and usually get questioned by one new customer every other year.
  10. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

I agree, you have to specify that you determine how much snow has come down because measurements taken at airports etc. can vary wildly. That is they way here, we can have 8 inches in the city and 3 inches at the airport and the radio reports we got 3 inches. Customers think oh great that is all we should pay for...not
  11. Gene L.

Gene L. Junior Member
    from CT

check your dept of transportation web site also you local TV stations ight post soome of the big towns snowfall amount. if they dont e-mail the weather guys at the tv stations. here in CT thats what I use.
  12. murphy4trees

murphy4trees Member

The only accurate way is to keep a tape in the truck and measure as you are plowing... especially with wind blowing etc....
    Contracts should specify: snow depth to be measured by contractor at time of plowing... snow settles, evaporates and melts quickly... 9" tonight can be under 8" by the time the office opens tomorrow...
    We had an official 30.5" blizzard in '96... the snow was blowing hard... I must have plowed 50" from the commecial lots by the time it was over....
    Also contracts read:
    2-4" XXX
    over 4"-8" YYY
    That means 4.1" is charged at YYY...
  13. LawnCareCrew

LawnCareCrew Junior Member

Accurate Snow Totals

We always go to the National Weather Service website any time we have questions from costumers on how much snow fell in a certain date. The site isn't very good about narrowing snowfall down to the hour but it will often tell you when it started snowing and when it stopped, especially if you have a fairly major snow event like we had here in Indianapolis, Indiana back at Christmas. Even using this site for our verifications we still have one major retail costumer who is arguing that we didn't get as much snow as the NOAA says we got because he measured it himself and if the weather service says we got as much snow as we are claiming it does then those people don't know what they are doing!!!!!! YEAH RIGHT!

14. LawnCareCrew

LawnCareCrew Junior Member

One Push or MoreThan One?

Hey, Guys question: if you push a lot more than once between the time it starts snowing and when it stops do you bill your customer for the amount of snow that was on the lot each time you started plowing or do you bill for the total snowfall after it has all stopped? The reason I ask is that between Dec. 22 and Dec. 25 we got a total of 12 inches of snow but it came in spurts - would snow sideways for awhile then slow down to flurries then snow sideways again. We had drivers on this retailer's lot from the time it started snowing on the 22nd until it was all cleaned up on the 28th. This retailer now wants to be billed for 3 small snows of 3", 5" and 4" rather than a bill for the total snowfall of 12 inches because his argument is that we never pushed 12 inches of snow at one time. How would you bill it?

CR Enterprises Commercial Snow Removal
  15. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

For my residential, and it is stated in the contract, a plow trip will be performed when the average amount of snow for the entire route is 3", not including town plow pushes at the street and wind blown drifts. This means I might be at your house with 2" or 4". And drifts and town piles could mean a special trip if i've already been to your house.

For commercial I have a 2-6"=$xxx, 7"+=$yyy and its totals at time of push.

I tape measure 90% of the driveways and lots. If they are a PITA I will dig pict the tape measurement. Just a little CYA.

LawnCareCrew: unless it is stated otherwise in your contract, I would have to side with the customer :cry: , however, it must have been more like 7 plows at 2" :D
  16. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Snow totals

The NWS keeps totals at the airport not at your job sites. The amount of snow varies from block to block and there are not enough airports to report the snow totals accurately at job sites. We had a snow here that I got a dusting at my shop and 10 miles east of us we had 6 inches. The only airport was so far south of us that it reported no snow. A good thing to remember is the weather service was made to support aviation. If you look at weather sites all the information is based on data collected from airports. This information is for flight safety.

Customer not trusting our judgment is a big problem in the industry as we have many dishonest people in the industry and so many dishonest people we do work for. Someone is always trying to get something for nothing. They figure they can screw us it is "just snow".

If the customer does not like how I do business I feel it is time to move on to a customer who does. In return I do things to gain trust.

17. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

Trying calling your town DOT. They should have numbers for their own records.
  18. ace911emt

ace911emt Member

I use CT-weather it costs 300 a year to have storm totals by town, faxed or emailed to my office this is stated in my contract.

(All billing will be based on the third party CT weather fax service for storm totals Faxed within 24-48 hours after the storm to the Number you provide_______________)
  19. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

Whats their website?
  20. ace911emt

ace911emt Member

on the left side go to avalible services and click on snowfall totals
    or you can use the attched file,

Attached Files: