1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

actuator question

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by johnnyboyupnort, Dec 25, 2009.

1. johnnyboyupnort

johnnyboyupnort Junior Member
    from Canada

Hi all.

I own a 2wd Rancher and this is my first winter plowing with it. Home made chains and lots of weight, some momentum and I am very impressed with it. I've been an observer here for a bit and have taken the advice of "plow with the storm" and it's excellent advice. I have yet to use my snowblower at all.

I live in Eastern Canada, and as such have a lot of potential snowfalls. My neighbour is elderly and I have taken on his driveay as well. While I don't plow for income, I am in the military, and time can be critical to me. There are times when I don't have the time to manually change angles. I just poke a hole in each driveway and go to work.

I see actuators for sale at princessauto.com and am wondering if anyone has experience with them or similar models. Can these things handle the stress of plowing? I would just use it to change angles, not push anything more than the plow through air. I am wondering if it would bend/break while the blade is angled.

Can these things handle it?

Thanks

John

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusicAre you thinking about the hydraulic power pack that they have available???????????????

3. johnnyboyupnort

from Canada

Nope. Just the actuator. I need to upgrade ATVs before I go that route.

4. shtuk

shtuk Member

Actuators that are rate much higher and have a warrantee arent too much more than the ones at PA. I've looked at them but have decided to save my shekels for a higher rated one I found on Ebay (1000lb push & 3000lb static).

5. johnnyboyupnort

from Canada

I can't find any decent actuators at all... where were they?

6. skamaniac

skamaniac Member

My plow setup has a spring loaded drop pin to lock in the blade. I attached a rope to disengage the pin. Amazingly it works very well.

7. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

read this thread.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=78022

bout page 3 or 4 got into discussion about Elec Actuators and such.

also any thing you add to the plow is gonna make the plow weigh more and gonna be more your ATV has to manuaver around I think a 2WD machine would be already at is limit with just the bare bones plow. I'm talking about being able to back up and go foward with the plow in the UP positon with the Plow down I haven't noticed much of a difference but I can tell there's more weight on the plow with my Electric Actuator with the plow in the up positon.

what type of plow?

have read for the CC plows guy's who had the old lift handle on there and then went to a winch for lifting then took the old lift handle and tied that to the Pull pin for angle and use the old lifting handle to realease the angle locking pin drive foward or back and get the blade swing way you want push lift handle back angle pin locks back into place and your set.

just a thought.

Pics of my setup in winter plowing saga link

sublime out.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  8. johnnyboyupnort

from Canada

Thanks for the info. The plow type... I don't know. I can take a photo and put it up here. It's old, the type that mounts to the trailer hitch. It's got a pin, held in by gravity that keeps the angle. The whole thing is rather sloppy. There are no gliders, just a couple of tabs about a foot from each end.

Should I be concerned with how loose this thing is under the bike? I can tighten it up, but would rather the plow bust than the ATV.

I'll go take some photos and find out how to upload them.

9. johnnyboyupnort

from Canada

Here are a few photos. You can see the pin in the first photo, it's up for clarity. What I'd like to do is mount an actuator on each side, with a common switch for both to move at once. I am thinking that I would bust them the first time out.

I have never actually laid eyes on an actuator in person. From the photos I've seen on the net, they remind me of the little screen door dampeners you see... am I close?

My apologies to all the guys here with the proper set-ups for plowing. My weight box is part of a filing cabinet that I didn't need. Better than the milk crates I had on there last week!

bike1.jpg

bike2.jpg

bike3.jpg

10. Ganz

Ganz Junior Member

Been lurking for a while now, first post, thought I'd add to this. I made a power pivot for my atv out of a actuator I got on ebay. Worked great until the ram bent. The ram was hollow and couldn't take the side pressure on it. I'm getting another and I'll have to rig a way to put the pin in and out to prevent all the pressure on the actuator. Something to keep in mind. Expensive lesson for me.

11. johnnyboyupnort

from Canada

Thanks for the input. Your situation is exactly what I want to avoid. I see that a lot of actuators are rated for so much, then so much more in a static position, but it's useless info until it's put to the test. Short of a full blown hydraulic cylinder with a power pack, I think I am destined to get up and down a lot with my good old pin.

12. Ganz

Ganz Junior Member

I'm still going to use the actuator to move the blade I'm just going to use the pin also to take the pressure off the actuator. Should work just fine. Any one have any ideas or photos on how to rig the pin so it can be released from the seat of my atv? I have a moose plow with the push tubes under the quad.

13. sublime68charge

I would think for your Plow set up you could do a dual actuator set up fairly easy. for the Pic's it looks like there's a hinge point right out in front of the ATV and a base point to mount up to.

your biggest thing will be finding out how much stroke you will need to get the angle on the blade you want.

I'd due 2 of them 1 on each side to help disperse the pressure that they will encounter.

just my thoughts.

14. revdwg

revdwg Member
    from canada

i am wanting to put a electric actuator on my plow for the angle. i was wondering how much stroke ill need? will 8 inch on be enough or will i need more?

15. noooooo

noooooo Member

I used a winch for my old setup to angle the blade and used a pin to hold the blade angle once it was angled. It worked very well. Used it 3 years for light commercial work. Only complaint was I had to raise the blade to change blade angle. I went with the moose hydro plow angle. I dont know how to make a link so go to atvconnection.com and look in my (noooooo) photo album.

16. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

:mechanic:

pic from port hardrive 4704.JPG

pic from port hardrive 4705.JPG

17. revdwg

revdwg Member
    from canada

ok that is what i want. do you know how much stroke that cylinder has and id like to get some dimensions on the moose push frame on how wide it is and long. im wanting to modifiy mine cause mine is way to long and i think the cylinder would rub on the tire and full cut

18. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

:D Hang tough I will get you some measurements today!

19. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

Check your private messages,

20. sublime68charge

here's a pic of my setup.

[​IMG]

that is all

sublime out.