1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Actuator Problem?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by The mayor, Jan 21, 2007.

1. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

I was plowing in 4 wheel drive but put it in 2 wheel to get to another account. When I got to the account, I put it back in 4 wheel but nothing happened. The front two wheels that light up for the 4 wheel engagement didn't light up and I had no 4 wheel. No low or high. I checked the fuse and that was good. Is it the actuator. What does it take to change it out.
    The truck is a 1990 chevy K1500.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

By your description it does sound like your actuator died on you.Before buying one though get under the truck and disconnect the weather pack plugs on the back side of the axle tube going to the actuator.Turn the ignition on and put the transfer case in 4WD and using a test light check the blue wire in the connector that has only 2 wire's in it for battery voltage.If it has battery voltage,then check the other wire in the same connector for ground with the test light.If you have power and ground at the connector then you should replace the actuator.Replacing the actuator is a piece of cake,should only take you about a 1/2 hr start to finish.

3. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

Thanks for the help. It turned out to be the actuator. $90.00 at NAPA.

4. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

One last question...When I took out the old actuator it was covered in oil. Was I suppose to do anything with the new one. All I did was take it out of the package and installed it.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nope, you don't have to do anything before installing it. Just pull it outta the box and screw it in the diff.