1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

active members online question

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by #1 plowtech, Jan 2, 2004.

1. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

On the main page on bottom of plowsite.com
    whats the deal with active members and guests.
    it seems i see many guest on the board. Are they a member but have there id set as ghost to hide themselves? little help?

just waiting for the 3-6 to come, PT.:)

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Plowtech, if you go to your profile and edit options, you can hide your identity. People who hide their identity are considered guests.:waving:

3. #1 plowtech

any guess as to why so many hide identity?
    why become a member?

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

They must not know much about snow removal!:D

5. Chuckwk

Chuckwk Founder

A LOT of people are paranoid about Internet identity.... the media scares the pants off people with talk about virus, identity theft, etc., etc.... the average person who uses or cares very little about computers or the Internet takes every precaution possible... you would not believe how many people think the 'cookie' that lawnsite.com uses is dangerous or harmful to their computer... a day does not go by when I don't reply to emails from members who can't login... every time I check their profile and they have set it to not remember login details or use a cookie to remember login info.

6. windmill

windmill Senior Member

#1 plowtech wes, re your question

On the main page on bottom of plowsite.com
    whats the deal with active members and guests.
    it seems i see many guest on the board. Are they a member but have there id set as ghost to hide themselves? little help?

As this board allows guests to this board without the need for registering it is most likely that most are really guests. It could be your customer who is looking up information on plowing or another snow related question.

Although I do come on as a guest from time to time, that's only because I don't care to have my icon showing me online. I do know how to plow, and do it well.

I'm sure that my IP address shows up for the people running the board so I am not incognito to them. I'm not sure about that though.

Having guests on this board aught to make us careful about what we say about our customers, one might figure it out that the PITA you are talking about is them. :)

7. #1 plowtech

Comments welcomed. its nice to get some opinions on the subject. enjoy, plowtech.:waving:

8. acornish

acornish Senior Member

well if they want my identity , they can have the dept too.