1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

acres per hour with pusher?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by R75419, Mar 4, 2014.

1. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

I know how long it takes to do an acre with a truck and 8' straight blade vs. a truck with a 9'2" v-plow. My question is how long does it take to do an average acre with a skid and a 10' steel edge pusher? How about if you go to a backhoe or ag tractor with the same setup? Do the backhoes and the ag tractors speed you up that much more vs. a skid? Thanks in advance for the responses.

2. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I have yet to do a open a parking lot with our skids...

The 10' box on a skid did cut push time in half on our hardest push in a tight apartment complex..

12 hours down to 6.. And the detail work you can do with a skid is non comparable..

3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Well my 9.6 V I can do a acre in 45 mins at 6'' of snow That's pushing one way Now if I can stack at both ends Then acre I do in 35 mins.
    Now my 11ft box on a Ag tractor It will do a acre in 40mins at 6'' of snow pushing one way
    Never check it at stacking at both ends

Now on my Skid with 7.5 box I have 3 lots in line total of 1.4 acres and the skid its self can do all 3 in 1 hr at 6'' snow fall and that's pushing both ways
    In a open lot never really check it I use it as a clean up around islands,
    poles,docks, all the tight areas
    My 8.6 w/wings a acre I'm at 45-50 mins at 6'' snow pushing one way ,stacking at both ends Its at -35 mins

If you can stack at both ends you cut your time down a lot no down time backing up

4. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

Flawless was that time vs a v-plow or straight blade? I am just trying to make a reasonable cost comparison so I can decide what equipment to add for next year as we have been approached about basically doubling our acres serviced. All the sites would be within 4 miles driving start to finish, so travel speed is not the critical factor, pushing power and capacity is.

5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Fwiw, a backhoe will cover a 4 mile trip in a hell of a lot less time than a skid steer. You can also go with a 12' pusher on a backhoe and cut a little more time off. As far as the time to clear an acre I have no idea but it doesn't take long in an open area.

6. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Also depends on the backhoe. I have one that defaults when you change from forward to reverse into second. One that does not default and you can push in third without having to do the extra shift. On a decent length push that's a huge difference.

If you have detail work and long pushes a small to mid size wheel loader will hands down outwork a skid or backhoe.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  7. bosman

bosman Senior Member

It sounds like you already have your mind set on buying a skid or backhoe and then spending more money on a pusher or two. However, you've already got two trucks, why not add two eblings and double the efficiency of each truck. Way less cost, less fuel, less manpower= morepayup. Just a thought.

8. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

I'd go loader, a backhoe sits real low and then if it's tight you have too worry about the hoe!

Ours only loads salt sits and idles all night!!

9. Antlerart06

If going pick between a backhoe and Ag tractor I go with a tractor you can run a pusher on front and rear blade to drag out docks or parking spots
    Here is my Tractor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cTo85mG6fo

10. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

I am leaning more towards the ag tractor for the reason of the back blade. The added benefit of the back blade as well as the road speed is starting to tip the scale in that direction. The only reason I am still on the fence is the fact that I could use the skid steer or the backhoe once in awhile on my summer work.

An Ebling on the back of the truck would not work due to salters and snow throwers etc. An Ebling on an ag tractor would be real swell. xysport

11. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Nothing says you can't mount a backblade on the hoe,think outside the box.!

12. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Lmao mount a 10 ft blade on the hoe. Can use it for summer grading too

13. Antlerart06

I know a guy has a blade for his hoe But never seen him use it in the snow
    He use it for back filling trenches But it could happen but not likely

14. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

It was more of a joke.. Although it could be useful for steep loading docks

15. Antlerart06

I know you was meaning that But I know a guy has one I think its only 5-6 ft wide

If you take half of the hoe arm off and mount a blade long ways you could swing it sideways for a wing plow that could be useful in open lots