1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Acres/Hr with 8'2" VXT?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowfever, Dec 7, 2012.

1. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I have a customer that is wanting to pay me a flat rate up to 9". The property is 5.02 acres and is pretty wide open. It is a strip mall so I am responsible for all sidewalks and rear door entrances as well. During the day it is just keeping the walks clean and the drives plowed. Then after closing I will come in and do clean up. I am wondering what the you guys think a good guy can plow a hour with a Boss 8'2" VXT. I'm guessing 1-1.5 acres a hour but I have never really thought about it. I will probably put a truck and a skid with box over there to get it knocked out in no time.
  2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

you aswered your own queston correctly I''d say, but with a flat rate of up to 9" you should be careful on your #'s you submit.
  3. ultimatelawns

ultimatelawns Member

You would be lucky to get .75 acres per hour during the day though. The other number mentioned would be good for at night. I would at least based your prices as if you were pushing 4.5" each time so you dont get screwed on the 9" item.
  4. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Flat rate up to 9" on a strip mall is crazy. Lets say snow starts at 4am and quits at 6pm, you're in there working till stores open, you're doing constant shoveling of walks all day as well as pass throughs to keep drives open, and to top it off you need to go in that night and do it all complete???
    No thanks
  5. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I agree, be careful with your bid!

In a 9" storm, how many times are you going to be there?
  6. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Those were all my thoughts. I get paid a amount up to 3" then a higher rate up to 6" and then it steps ups again to 9". They also pay a set amount to clean sidewalks and rear doors. And they also pay me a set amount to apply the salt which they provide. I ask them yesterday about the situation of if it snowed all day and I had to come back at night and plow again how that all works. I have not committed yet and am going to meet him at the property the first of the week to talk it over. To me the rates sound a bit low on all the hand work but the rates for plowing seem about right. I guess we will see what they say. I would like to plow it off every 2" and get paid for each 2" clearing but we will see what they want.
  7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Now you're asking to eat the cake too.