1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Acquisition of Blizzard Corporation by Douglas Dynamics

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnkid, Feb 8, 2006.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

I just read that Douglas Dynamics LLC (manufacturers of Western and Fisher snow removal products) has acquired the Blizzard Corporation. Anyone else hear about this that can confirm it? It is posted on Western's website under what's new for 2006.
    Should be an interesting collision of plow manufacturers if it is true.
    Western won't show it's new products until the 2006 NTEA Show. Maybe they'll make a new 810 with a trip edge or coat the new Blizzard plows with a coat of paint that won't rust after two snow events ????? If I remember right the original manufacturer's of Blizzard were Boss plow engineers. Any thoughts on this?

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

The buyout happened late fall and I doubt you will see anything happen this coming year. Remember Western and Fisher have shared the same parent company for a while and these two brands are still very much different.

3. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Maybe fisher and western dealers will start offering blizzards. The closest Blizzard dealer 40min away just decided to stop selling blizzard because the plow market wasn't good. I still plan on getting an 810 next fall just put it together myself!

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If it's like the Western/Fisher deal the hydraulics, harnesses, controls and lights will be shared. they will operate as separate entities, but you will be able to interchange some parts, though they won't advertise the similarities. I don't think the end user will see any other benefits. DD will have to pay off the note so they might even raise the pricing. It will take a while for there will be any significant changes in anything, but I imagine like others have a trip edge to compete with Fisher, "blizzard" will license the expanding blade technology to western and maybe fisher. It would allow the use of fisher/western dealer network to sell the technology.
    Western and Fisher dealers won't become Blizzard dealers, I doubt they'd be allowed, if they behave like other product line holding companies. Reese, Drawtite, hidden hitch and sure pull are all owned by the same parent. If you are a Reese dealer you can not buy drawtite, hidden hitch or surepull unless you where a dealer before the acquisition happened, some thing about anti-trust.
    The other products of the acquisition won't be as noticeable to the end user. The distribution chain will be consolidated making it slower to respond and the available parts quantity will shrink creating more multi source back orders.
    On the wild side DD could let western or fisher absorb Blizzard, do away with the brand name and keep the technology, could be more profitable then waiting for the patents to run out and the costs of engineering their own. version.

5. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

do you think well get a discount now

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Not because of the acquisition, but maybe because of a slow snow year and end of season discounts. All depends on the dealers inventory situation.

7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I really doubt you will ever see a trip edge on a Blizzard power plow. For starters how would it trip on a wing in bucket mode ? I know v-blades have them but damn,it sure who would make a mess of a perfectly good product. Plus the full trip is easier on the truck. I also dont think the awesome attack angle will fly on a trip edge plow, so Now you just ruined the allmost perfect scraping ability.
    Anyway why would you want a trip edge on a Blizzard ??

Oh and yes Blizzard used to own Boss, and the guys at blizzard were the original designers of there products.

8. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Discount do to your name ?

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I wasn't suggesting Blizzard having a trip edge. I was refering the fact that other makers are producing a trip edge to compette with Fisher, and that with the Blizzard purchase DD could now license the expanding wing technolagy to Western/fisher.

System Control owns Boss and has for twenty some years, Blizzard was privately owned until the acquisition. Blizzard never owned Boss. I thought the way it worked is the father of the owner/creator of Blizzard created Boss.

10. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

yeah maybe were family or maybe i can get them to think were family