1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Acorns = snow or no snow???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by QuadRacer041, Oct 28, 2008.

1. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 Senior Member

A freind of mine said to me the other day, its gonna be a snowy winter....I said why do you say that...he said because there are no acorns this year. I have found just through taking notice myself that if there are alot of acorns in the fall that means a snowy winter. Last fall the acorns were bad and we had a decent amount of snow here in Jersey. Anyone else have an opinion???
  2. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

My yard is full of them do you offer clean-up...?
  3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

We have a ton of acorns here, walking across the lawn is like walking on ball bearings!

Am I in trouble? :eek:
  4. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

No acorns here...wait, no oak trees either!
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Can plants think ahead?

What happens to an apple tree after a severe pruning?

Or do they respond to previous weather\climate changes?

I've heard this before and think it's hogwash. A plant has no brain and has no idea what the weather will be like. However, after going through a period of stress, plants will produce more seeds (acorns, hickory nuts, walnuts, cones, etc) than in a 'normal' weather pattern.
  6. Dhouse

Dhouse Member

All this talking about snow is just nuts.
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Your nuts if you think plants can predict the weather.;)
    All they can do is respond to it.

a ton of acorns = deer & squirrels
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  8. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

I don't buy any of that stuff. Last year we had a ton of acorns and heard the old "Oh yeah, there's gonna be alot of snow this winter" crap, we had minimal snow at best. This year I haven't seen many acorns at all so.......
  9. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

we had a ton of acorns down the past couple years and havent gotten any snow to speak of during those years. for what its worth, i dont see as many acorns down this year. what all that means...i dont know :confused:
  10. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Who knows.......could be something to it but this is something we will never know. Like instinct........we know it exists but no one understands it or can make sense out of it.

I agree with SnoFarmer, must be more of a response. Last year my oaks produced more acorns than ever, and we had a big winter here. This year they produced less. No one knows.
  11. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

the old guy at the landfill says it's gonna be a bad winter cuz theres alot of pine cones.
  12. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

maybe he meant to say because his bum-knee is acting up :D
  13. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

Forgot that deer & squirrels = happy hunting.

I have heard the old wives tale that if there are alot of berries its going to be a snowy winter....hmmm have to see about that. Ask me in April.
  14. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Junior Member

It's the size of your nutts, not the quantity that really matters.:drinkup:
  15. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

we had are acorns fall in early august and we have 4 in our back yard about 250 years old or more. of course we also had a drought all summer to. The real indicator i look for are the animals { how thick there coats are how early the start to put them on ect. we always had a dog that would hide under our truck about 4-5 hours before a bad storm would hit!! But hey thats just me
  16. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Well said BAYDOG. :nod:
  17. dunlaps lawncare

dunlaps lawncare Senior Member

plants can predict the weather?///
  18. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Lots of Acorns= no snow we had now Acorns last year and we had record snowfall. The year before that we had tons of Acorns and no snow. But if we get alot of snow again this year we won't have a deer left alive. So I hope we get a normal winter.
  19. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Maybe we should start plowing acorns.
  20. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

you dont already