1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Accuweather-Opinions?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JennyB, Jan 18, 2005.

1. JennyB

JennyB Junior Member
    from SE MI

Do any of you subscribe to Accuweather? Have you found it to be accurate in its 15 day forecasts? I currently check NWS very frequently as well as Quikcast and the daily Accuweather forecast. I guess what I am asking is: Is it worth the money to subscribe? Thanks in advance for your response!

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Welcome to plowsite! :waving:
    I have a friend on here who does and he said it's pretty much the same as the regular version. They usually all change thier forecasts everyday anyhow. Johndee.com is my favorite.

3. sam973

sam973 Member

I subscribe to the pro accuweather site. The forecasts are the same I think, but u get all of the other other options like the articles from different meteorologists, several radars, you can look at the actual Forest models we often here about on TV, and lots of other stuff. I like reading Joe Bastardi's articles. He usual has pretty good long range outlooks that aren't based off just computer models. I think his articles alone make it worth it. I've seen him pick storms off 2 weeks in advance(sometimes) when others didn't mention it till just days before. Take the storm for Sat-Sun he has been talking about for over a week. If it pans out, it would be a storm he predicted almost 2 weeks in advance.

4. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

I am not going to pay !!!! Nope,,,,not going to do it. It all comes from the same place....NOAA :rolleyes: Even the best guess'ers ( John ) have their off days.

Do you really think someone can predict the weather ? :eek:

Ok then,,,here goes...50% chance of snow tomorrow :cry:

ROFLMAO !!!!!!

5. winterangel

winterangel Member
    from Ohio

HOLD YOU TO THAT INDYSNOW PLOW!!! :nod:

YOUR PREDICTION WILL BRING LOOT payup

6. jrd22

jrd22 Junior Member

You can sign up for the Accuweather Pro version free for 30 days, I didn't think it was worth it, but give it a try. I check them all, NOAA, wunderground,yahoo, etc. Good luck. John Davidson

7. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS Senior Member

i had accuweather and then i went to the www.noaa.gov and guess what they had the exact samething for free word for word . so i cancelled acccuweather. plus the noaa has everything you can imagine. you just have to look for it a litte harder.

8. butters

butters Member

I agree that www.noaa.gov is your best source since that is where it all originates from anyway, plus it is free. Besides I haven't seen anyone that can predict tomorrows weather accurately yet alone 15 days! Look outside and you sometimes get a better weather report. Just my $.02.

9. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Your absolutely right, as soon as the NWS puts out an advisory, Accuweather changes their forcast to match the NWS. It happened today an hour or so ago when we went under a snow advisory.

10. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

for 50 cents Ill email you a weather report everyday. Itll even say what you want it to.

11. sam973

sam973 Member

You don't subscribe to the pro sight just to look at the 15 day forecast or advisories. You can get them on the free accuweather sight. You subscribe to be able to see all the computer models and get the individual opinions from several of accuweather's best guys. There are tons of options on that sight that you won't get elsewhere. You can even talk to the meteorologists via e-mail and get quick responses too. I think they put out a good package if you take advantage of all the options on the sight.

12. TLC Ken

TLC Ken Member

I've been subscribing to the pro service for 5 years. about $150/yr. The bottom line is if there's a chance, get up at 2am and look out the window. Accuweather has it's good and bad days. What I like about it versus the NWS is that the NWS is too chciken little for my taste. They give huge witner storm warnings about once per week. In november we had forecasts for 8 to 12 iinches of snow, 4 times what we usually get. We got zero. Accuweather thought we were getting some too, but not "end of the world, aarrgh!" like NWS is.

What I like about accuweather is the hourly temps and precip amounts. Both are pretty accurate for my area. If it says there will be .1 inches fall from 1 pm to 2pm that day, you can be pretty sure that it will be light snow. If it says .4 inches, that means havy snow that hour. They also forecast the gaps pretty well too, like how it will stop snowing for a couple hours right as the sun rises. I've got broadband (thank you God) and the radars load pretty quick. but accuweather is all but unusable on Dial up.

Accuweather eschews the percentage chance of snow that I'm tired of looking at. But truthfully, I look at NWS and Accuweather several times per day, every day. Accuweather will forecast snow about one time in ten that won't happen, NWS is wrong about three times that much.

13. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

Accuweather

Thiers no such animal as a 15 day forecast, and anything within 3 days is an educated guess.

Accuweather is pretty good, it's easier to navigate than weather.com

14. If any of you are really nuts about the weather, then Joe Bastardi from the Accuweather.com Pro site is the way to go. As one of the previous posters said he can predict a storm 10 to 14 days out and not be far off. Many of you are right, they all use the same information it's just how they interpret it. The NWS does not develop the weather models, some of them are done at colleges and universities around the country. There are now no less than 6 major weather models that are used when just a few years ago there were 3 or 4. This adds to the confusion, hype, disparity in the forecast, etc. Here's hoping for a big one in New England!!

MM007 :salute: :salute:

15. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

Here in Buffalo, New York all the weather forecasts are just an educated guess. We are told theres going to be this big storm and nada, bubkiss. Then they say just a dusting and we get 8 inches! When it comes to accuracy, I like the noaa site the best.

IMO ... paying for a weather forecasts is like getting a hooker, why should I pay for something where if I apply myself I can get for free!

16. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Hey winterangle.....was I right ? :cry: