1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

AccuWeather.com Winter Storm Center Releases 2004-2005 Winter Forecast

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jt5019, Oct 24, 2004.

1. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Cold Weather May Start Early in the East
    AccuWeather.com Winter Storm Center meteorologists are not only predicting colder-than-average temperatures over the East, but also perhaps an early start to winter in those areas. The average temperatures are expected to be at least two degrees below normal in an area that extends from southern Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire south to the Florida Panhandle, and as far west as southeast Ohio and eastern areas of Kentucky, Tennessee and Alabama. Temperatures of normal to one degree below normal are expected to the west of this area to the Mississippi River. A narrow band in the western Virginia and North Carolina mountains will average at least three degrees below normal.

"I believe that the Northeast will have a cold winter, and that is not good news for energy consumers in that area," said Joe Bastardi, AccuWeather.com Winter Storm Center Expert Senior Meteorologist. Bastardi coordinated the Winter Season Forecast.

The nation from the Great Plains westward is expected to have temperatures that average slightly above normal. There will be an area of temperatures that average at least two degrees above normal in eastern Oregon, Idaho, northern Nevada, southwest Montana, much of Wyoming and north-central Colorado.

Above-Normal Snow for Southern, Central Appalachians
    The AccuWeather.com Winter Storm Center has good news for ski areas in the central and southern Appalachians, where snowfall this winter is expected to be 125% of normal. Normal to slightly-above normal snowfall is expected in southern New England, southeast New York State, New Jersey, the much of Pennsylvania, much of West Virginia, Maryland and Delaware.

Normal to slightly-below normal snowfall is expected in the Ohio Valley, mid-Mississippi Valley, and central Plains. The eastern Great Lakes and northern New England are also expecting normal to slightly-below normal snowfall, as is the Pacific Northwest. Snowfall totals of 25 percent below normal are expected in the upper Midwest, western Great Lakes, upper Mississippi Valley and northern Great Plains. Snowfall total in the Rockies should be normal to slightly-below, except for Montana, where snowfall totals are expected to be 25 percent below normal.

AccuWeather.com Winter Storm Center meteorologists note that snowfall totals can greatly influenced by one storm, since a single storm can drop a significant percentage of the winter's snow total in one or two days.
    CONTINUED plus maps
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

If they can't predict the weather for tomorrow, how can they predict it for the while winter? :rolleyes:
  3. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

The Boss -

I second that thought!

4. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Can I get a third on that?? :waving:
  5. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I dont take the predictions to seriously but they do give something to look foward too.I Hope they are right this time
  6. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

Anything to get my blood flowing. False promises are a norm in our feild but I like to hear what "could" happen.
  7. The Boss

I couldn't agree more! :nod:
  8. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

There was a weatherman here that got fired .No clue why. I went to price a new truck there he was selling trucks. Weatherman and carsalesman hand in hand.
  9. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

he got fired becuase he was right to ofton. :)
  10. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

11. Greensway

Greensway Member

Flip a quarter

quarter (WinCE).jpg
  12. The Boss

You hit that one on the nose PSD!! :drinkup:
  13. ChipsEarthWorks

ChipsEarthWorks Senior Member
    from CT

Look out the window if there is white on the ground then its snowing, if it is wet then it is raining, you get the same answer that they do. But i live in the Northeast and I hope the prediction is right :nod:
  14. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

A farmer told me he can tell by looking at a caterpillar bug, says most have a black stripe on the front and the back with tan in the middle this year, means snowy beginning calm in the middle and snowy in the end, I'll take his prediction over any meteoroligist.
  15. Predict the weather for tomorrow?!? Sheesh, the morning weather report for the afternoon and night isn't even right. I could be a weather man.
  16. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

The catapiller markings are about the same this year as last year. However, there is an abundance of achorns, pine needles and seems to be a lot more leaves on the trees this year, which are supposed to be winter indicators by "old" farmers. We got off to a good start last year but it fizzled out, only 7 events.

17. The Boss

I also heard that florida got hit with 4 hurricanes in 79', just like it did this year. 79' was when we had a really bad winter. I don 't remember it, just have pics. of me playing in the snow.
  18. well congratulations then you are weather guys too! Welcome to the club :)