1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

AccuWeather.com Meteorologist Joe Bastardi Forecasts Coldest Winter in Five Years

Discussion in 'Weather' started by tls22, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Being that im a nice guy i will post the winter outlook from JB......you have to pay monthly to see his forecast! I guess like the the old saying goes the proof is in the pudding!

AccuWeather.com Chief Long-Range Forecaster Joe Bastardi today released his 2008-09 Winter Season Forecast addressing issues of average temperature and precipitation impacting the nation. His forecast calls for one of the coldest winters in several years across much of the East.

The core of cold was centered across the Midwest last year but is expected to be farther east this year. Bastardi says the winter of 2008-2009 will be viewed as the hardest in several years. "It may be a shock to some when compared with the above-average temperatures of last year in the East. It will put some 'brrrrrr' in the saddle of folks who have not had to deal with such things for a while," he cautions.

"In the eastern half of the nation, people will look at the winter as bookends of cold," Bastardi said. He says the overall colder and snowier winter will be off to a cold start in December with perhaps the roughest winter month for much of the nation. It may finish with another cold spell in late January and February.

Between the bookends of cold, Bastardi expects "the January thaw of old winter lore" but it will offer only a temporary break to consumers. "The winter as a whole in the population-dense eastern third of the nation will be a one-two punch of higher heating prices and lower temperatures. Given this economic environment, the winter will push some homeowners to the brink," he concludes. In some cases, homeowners trying to keep their residences as warm as last winter could spend hundreds of dollars more this heating season.

Temperatures across most of the West will be warmer than last year and should be warmer than normal, which will help consumers by keeping heating cost increases in check. The northern Rockies and Northwest will still have more snow than normal but not as much as last year, where some locations developed a snow pack that reached twice normal levels.

The Midwest was blasted by snow last year and many communities ran very low on salt to keep roads clear of ice. Despite the elevated cost of salt this winter season, these areas will receive a break in the form of less snow than last year. Unfortunately, the East will not turn out as lucky, as more snowfall than last year is expected.

Im down for this!:bluebounc
  2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Stop trying to pay off other forcasters to try to prove your point. All the east coasters are saying we will get less snow but the locals all say we will have lots of snow. We will just have to wait and see!!!!!!!
  3. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

its the same BS every year. one says one thing the other says another thing. we'll wait and see is right. although this is the 4th winter forecast ive read that agrees with the cold (& potentially snowy) forecast of others.
  4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

if this fall is any indication with all the lake effect rain we have had, a pounding is near at hand. i feel it in my bones.
  5. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

I agree with you guys anything can happen, i just want more then 40 inches of snow this year!ussmileyflag
  6. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

now im confused tim
    your other thread says i will get average snowfall.
    this one says i will get more snow than last year which was above average?
    all the local weather people around here are saying we will get more than average this year with colder than normal temps.

starting to wonders what is up with the forecasts?
    i dunno. i still say above average but i dont get paid to predict snow just to plow it.:nod:
  7. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

The other Forcast was from a diff forcaster at accuweather, but the basic trend here in all the outlooks is cold and snow for the east. Which is great for us Bri:drinkup:
  8. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

How was Big Joes forecast for this summer for you East coasters ? Did he nail it ?
  9. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

I don't know off hand, i canceled my subscription in march. I don't need his wisdom in the summer, but i will find out for you!
  10. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

i agree with both of you just wait and see and this year i said the hell with this long range forecasting that other make for me i'll make my own ideas and conclusion about the winter based on what going on now . if def cold i bet everyone that switch to burning wood will be happy
  11. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

ill believe it when i see the snow on the ground. they have no idea at this point. its just a guess. that's how I roll..
  12. E-MAN NY

E-MAN NY Senior Member

Bad Winter

Hi Guys, i lust read Joes post in todays NY Daily News, WOW!!! sounds good....we need a decent December to start things off!!! That would be sweet. Could use some holiday $$$$ too.........good luck guys.....Kevin:drinkup:
  13. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I agree also. We will have to wait and see. These guys don't know what is going to happen, it is a prediction. A prediction can go either way. The best way to find out when it is going to snow is to look out the window. When you see this white stuff falling down, then you know it is snowing. ;)
  14. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

these guys cant predict with any certainty more then 2 days out and you want them to predict 2 months ???

heres my prediction, by december it'll be cold and it will snow at some point between now and april

now pay up.....payup
  15. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Way to go out on a limb wing plow willy!:drinkup:
  16. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

:jester:...bet i'll be more accurate then the big name weather guessers
  17. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

if your talking bout jersey... your prediction wouldve been wrong for the last 3 years:(
  18. Snow Day

Snow Day Senior Member

Did he ever mention my area, Central Plains? Doesn't look like it.
  19. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

20. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

Not that I care, being a meteorologist is one of the few professions where you can be consistently wrong and still keep your job! Along with politicians..........
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.