1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Accumulation over a few days??

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MichelleinMich, Dec 20, 2009.

1. MichelleinMich

MichelleinMich Member

Keeping it short and simple: My contracts state that we'll plow at 2". So if there was already an inch on the ground (for 2 days now) and it snows another inch (expected tonight), do you guys typically go out? Thanks!!

- Michelle

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I typically use as a rule of thumb, if there is 2 inches on the lot, or drive, then you go out if you have a 2 inch trigger. Chances are though if there is an inch on the ground for a couple days, the the lots or drives are going to be either melted off, or hard packed, which would not trigger the 2 inch depth. Of course this is just my opinion I am sure your get more.

3. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Yes we plow. You want to also because if you leave it and your customers drive over it you will end up with ice ruts. Which in turn will make plowing your next visit a *****.

4. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Go out with your ruler to make sure its two inches :D

5. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusicYes we do. If the contract stipulates a 2 inch accumulation start , we dont play games with the forecast even if it says temps are going up. Keeps us out of trouble and keeps clients happy.

6. MichelleinMich

MichelleinMich Member

I'm so relieved to read all 4 of these responses. Thanks guys.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'd contact my customers about salt. that kind of snowfall will leave ice behind if its not been plowed. Could be another $$ maker. 1/2 an inch of ice is worse then 2" of snow.:nod:

8. nhpatriot

nhpatriot Senior Member

Best advice yet. Educating your customers is key. Some will always be cheap, and will not opt for it. Others will recognize the benefit to them. A judicious application of salt when there is ice build up is a small cost. Without it, the driveway many times just gets worse and worse through the winter, as it becomes progressively difficult to plow each storm with the poor surface.

9. MichelleinMich

MichelleinMich Member

Great point about the salt. Just last night I was kicking my own a*s trying to figure out why we didn't try and upsell this one but instead assumed only the commercial lots would be interested (we only have 2 comm.) Next year I'll push the salt more. Thanks guys.

10. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

I tell my customers if it starts to accumulate like this then call me to come out. (i only tell my per push customers this) My seasonal customers i use my own discretion and tell them that if it gets to a point where they thing there is two inches to give me a call to check if it is or not. If there isn't, then i ask them if they want a salt service to melt it away and charge them for it.

11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Plow them....salt next year too

12. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

On resi's I'm not plowing unless there is 2". It could build up in an hour, or a week. Once it's 2", I plow it. On the commercials, I plow more often, but also use salt to melt an inch or so.

13. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I gotta a question...

What if there is an inch of snow left over from last season...and then another inch falls, and my trigger says 6"....does that mean I don't get to hook up my plow and have some fun?

:eek:

14. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

It could build up in an hour, or a week. Once it's 2", I plow it.

That's just ludicrous...you mean to say no clients are driving over this "buildup" over a week's time??? My trigger is 2 inches per event...I don't have time or gas to waste to be driving my route and inspecting all my clients driveways with a micrometer...think about what you said there...silliness! :laughing::laughing:

15. Indy

Indy Senior Member

yep, to the customer snow is snow.......

I don't want them to think I don't care, so when in doubt, we clean it up.

It usually comes out in the wash as a good deal for them, and me keeping them happy so I don't get the call on the next one........." it snowed twice and you never showed up"