1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hinikersnowplow, Jan 7, 2015.

1. hinikersnowplow

hinikersnowplow Member
    from on aol

how many of you guys think this ? i have a friend that claims he plows 65 properties doing it by himself with one truck . what do you all think

it is combined of commercial and residental
  2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

That's possible. I do around 60 driveways in about 4.5 hours with my truck. As long as the commercial properties aren't too big that's pretty doable
  3. Snow tracker

Snow tracker Senior Member

Totally doable. May be on thin ice when it gets deep but it's possible.
  4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Its possible 65 with 1 truck Long day at work

How long does your friend say it takes him
  5. hinikersnowplow

hinikersnowplow Member
    from on aol

He say 13 hrs to plow and clean off sidewalks with a western v plow . I do 18 commercail lots and 6 driveways in 7 hrs or less.
  6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

13 hrs is a long day

My route of 28 Com lots and 9 drives 3 Big Condo complex's takes me about 10-12 hrs that's running 5 plow rigs. Soon be a 6th rig Today or tomorrow plow gets here .

The 5 of the 28 Com lots I do are 5 acre +.
    Once the first 1'' snow falls, Im plowing till the storm has stop. So I plow a lot of lots 2-3 times, Drives and Complex's only get one visit .
    After everything is plowed takes about 3 hrs to salt everything with 2 rigs
  7. hinikersnowplow

hinikersnowplow Member
    from on aol

i'm talking one truck doing the work
  8. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I think it all depends on what size, shape and how much side walk.
    I have 22 with one parking lot. Takes 9-10 hours with 2 inches. Some are a real PITA with lots of hand work and stairs to many doors. Many are the dumbest curvy long driveways you could imagine with basket ball hoops and bushes everywhere. But I charge more for some of those than the 36,000 sq ft parking lot.

65 is a lot, 12 mins with some handwork it 13 hours. Does he have a shovel man in the truck to take care of that part? Must be all very close together. My farthest from one end to the other is about 7 miles, but in really bad weather this time on the road adds up.
  9. hinikersnowplow

hinikersnowplow Member
    from on aol

no just himself doing it all no shovel man unless his boy doesn't have school lol
  10. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I would not want to be in he's shoes when it snows 6 to 8 inches. Mine goes from 10 hours to 15-16 hours.
    65 would turn in to 24 ish.
  11. hinikersnowplow

hinikersnowplow Member
    from on aol

i know what ya mean i just don't know weather he is just mouthing off to me or what . but it just hard for me t believe it though to say he has more than me . i mainly do commercail lots and don't ever see him plowing other commercails lots
  12. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Its all relative. Add all the drives together and come up with total length. I only plow about 15 but 6 of them add up to 3 miles by themselves. And they're all gravel. Takes a while.
  13. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

That works out to 12 minutes per account! Possible but improbable.Unless there're all on one street,no travel time.Hate to be at the end of his route,who waits 13 hrs after storm to be cleared.
  14. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I learned a long time ago guys lie about a few things in life: How much money they make, what fuel mileage their truck gets, how big that trophy buck was they supposedly shot but couldn't find, and. . . well, a few other things. It is called insecurity.

In business, I used to worry a lot about my competition. Then I figured out some things and we started getting pretty busy. The busier I got, the less I worried about them. Looking back, if I would have stopped worrying what the other guy was doing and started focusing on what I was doing earlier I believe I would have gotten a better start. I call it school of hard knocks. I was worried whether I was doing things right or not and trying to be like others. I started focusing on each individual account and whether each account was profitable or not. Didn't take long to realize 20-30-40 profitable accounts are better then 200 not profitable accounts. Also less headaches, break downs, wear and tear, etc. Don't worry about your "friend." You will be fine.
  15. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

that number of driveways can, of course, be done with a single truck. Whether the customers are satisfied, whether the operator is overtired and dangerous toward the end of the route, and whether in the end it is worth it are questions that only the owner can answer.
  16. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Lots of variables, we did 33 driveways in one subdivision in around an hour and all of those were your typical 2 car wide and about 2-3 car deep type. That same truck did an additional 15 or so properties, some commercials and a couple more residentials along the way. So it's doable just depends how big and close the places are I guess.
  17. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I could see it happening but the question really is, is he able to get to all of them fast enough where his phone doesn't blow up every event. I factored it myself that a typical driveway here (a 2 car drive) would take me probably 2 minutes so I'd be able to do 30 in an hour. I couldn't imagine doing a decent job doing 60 drives meaning each would be a minute