1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Accounts or no?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by tthomass, Jul 22, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass Junior Member

Being first year out I'm thinking of working as a sub for one of the landscape company owners I know. The good part is they provide the job, I provide the work vs spending $ on advertising and searching for accounts spread all over.

Question is I see this in three ways:
    #1 Solicite your own work.
    #2 Sub
    #3 VDOT

#1 I prob will not do except for friends/neighbors etc. I should get around $100 per hour as a #2 but #3 I don't know anything about. Help?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

welcome to plow site.

There is a difference between being an employee or a Subcontractor.
    As a Subcontractor you are a contractor and you will need a business- INC, LLC. etc etc..

Then their is liability Insurance.

(#1 Solicite your own work.)
    You would still need to solicit the contractors for a job.
    Then they will want you to sign a noncompeting clause. lol.
    so you don't try to take there accounts.

Subbing is an easy way to get experience at someones else's expense.
    You have some experience so my advice is to go solicit your own accounts.

P.s Get the best truck and plow you can afford. These are the tools you will be using to make money with. jmo:

3. tthomass

tthomass Junior Member

My truck is a '02 Chevy 2500HD
    -ext cab
    -long bed
    -4x4
    -4.10 rear
    -6.0L gasser

I am a fully licensed, insured and tax paying S Corp. Experience is not a problem, I've got plenty.

I am also looking to have my Bobcat T-190 going as I already have a snow bucket for it.

I will not be subbing out work. I will have the Chevy + T190 running.

4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

option # 5. you get the contracts. you dont plow anything but your own driveway. you sub out the contracts. you sit home and collect twenty percent off each contract while your subs on 1099's go do them. :gunsfiring:

5. tthomass

tthomass Junior Member

I will have to look into it. I have never solicited plowing. My company is a landscape construction company, no mowing. We work all over so soliciting plowing from thos jobs really makes us travel.

The expense I put into advertising is not something I like either. There are over 20,000 homes within a 5 mile radius.

6. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

from what i know (which is little im learning too) most commercial contracts are on the bid process. so come right about now calling local businesses and asking when they start taking bids on the coming contract would be a good thing to do. as far as plowing house driveways ive picked up seven in the last couple months without soliciting anyone. i actually already found another plow to fill in for me and sub on days i dont want to do it. because i may very well end up with many , many more im looking at this guy as a sub also not just someone to fill in. just from people i know. who will mention it to people they know. who will mention it to people they know. i think if you start now in spreading the word and checking on commercial contract bids you will have your decision on what you decide to do come fall. hard to know now because you really have nothing to weigh out to decide with. just my opinion. advertising is usually expensive and not always worth the expense. free advertising from happy customers and your friends is the best advertising. personally. im not giving any clients except those who already have apt knowledge of who i am my home phone or address. because i dont see this being extremely profitable and if i have someone call me bitching because the sub didnt show up and plow their driveway i would have made five dollars on i will freak out on them and probably not go over there and plow it for them anyway. hell. even if it was a self plow and i was making 25 i wouldnt want to be called if i didnt go. guess i just dont want to be called unless there is serious cash im missing out on! HAHA

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007