1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Accidents with plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cja1987, Jan 14, 2004.

1. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Just wondering if anyone has gotten in an accident (on the road) and damaged the plow. What was it lake dealing with the insurence? How much damage did it do? Could the plow or mount be fixed?

Not like i paln on getting in an accident just curious if anyone has. Another question do you take extra precautions with the plow attached like how much do you change your driving style beyond the obvious like don't exceed 40 MPH etc. What kind of roads/situations do you try to avoid?

I dont like to travel on roads with many lanes with the plow can be too narrow and people don't have to go far out of their lane to clip the plow. I try to wait for a large enough gap to pull out on to busy roads so that i dont have to stay in one lane (i can use both while turning). Potential accidents is also the main reason i take the plow off when its not snowing just too much risk. I have no clue why so many people leave there plows on all the time:rolleyes: especially with the plows these days it takes 2 seconds to attach/remove. Landscaping company was dumb enough to leave plows on all winter damaged 1 in an accident when it was sunny and 50 and another got stolen off the truck so easy when plow is lowered and on truck:rolleyes:
  2. S-10 Plower

S-10 Plower Senior Member

I have never had what you said happen, Did see a 02 or 03 Ford F-350 Reg Cab With an 8' western and a V-box Spreader get nailed the other day, Bent the plow smashed the entire drivers side in and warped the frame. my guess would be that it will be totaled.

3. pcleiter

pcleiter Junior Member

Advise to all: Verify with your insurance company that your plow is covered. Some insurance companies do not want for you to have a plow mounted on your truck and if you have an accident while it is mounted, your policy may have been invalidated b/c you had the plow mounted when the accident occured. Other insurance companies will not cover any claims for accidents in which the plow is involved. Some policies will not cover equipment on the truck that is worth more than $X.XX dollars unless it is specifically noted in the policy. All of this has been garnered from insurance agents while I've been shopping around for a new polidy. Most companies seem to want for you to have a commercial policy for the vehicle with specific mention to snow plowing. If something goes wrong, you do not want to be left on your own to defend yourself and/or pay for damages.

For more info, search this site for keywords 'insurance' and 'lawsuit'. And call your agent to verify that what you're doing is covered. If you're in doubt, call your agent.
  4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I had to get commercial insurance for my truck because I have a plow on it. Balde is covered for any damage also.
  5. xlr8

xlr8 Senior Member

I've had one accident in seven years of plowing, and it was on 12/6/03 . I had just finished my own drive and was heading out to do my route. It was snowing p blah blah blah! Hit a piece of ledge snapped a turn cylinder cracked plow frame. I fixed it all in about 3 hour and for 250 bucks and i was out plowing again. No need to contact insurance co. Although I have coverage it is a 500$ deductible.