1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Accident help!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by golfmanres, Feb 13, 2006.

1. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

Help! :realmad:
    Sunday morning at aprox 930 am i was plowing a private street, tuckng the corners, when i was backing up a lady backed out of her driveway about half way and i backed into her. I got out only damage was to her SUV cracked taillight and little scratch on the right rear corner panel. Sholud i call my insurance company or just pay out of pocket? Keep in mind i had my yellow beacon light running and corner stobes. The lady told me she thought she could beat me, and get around me in time and she thought i saw her. She never mad it all the wayout of her drive way. Also one of the neighbors saw the whole thing and said she was clearly at fault, I also had my G/f in the truck and she said she never saw the lady. I have two witnesses if this is going to help me.

What are my options? I dont want my insurance to raise.... I have statefarm insurance.

2. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

police called? if she admits she wrong well your fine,but you need to keep up with witnesses info.do you have"snowplowing ins" for sure i tried state farm and they dont offer it ,here so you better make sure your covered before telling them you were plowing .is it your personal ins or commercial ?

3. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

Policec not called, not needed on a private road in virginia. State farm had put a rider on my insurance for snowplowing. I have in writing that im covered. Its my personal insurance also.

4. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

i would say your ok.let her contact you first,if she stated she tried to beat you ,she may just fix her car and move on.if she calls i would try to resolve it if i could but only to a degree,you both were backing so i would try to at least work with her ,but if starts going up tell ins co and let them fight it out.if your not at fault i would stand my ground.get info and statement now while still on everyones mind.

5. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Thats a tough one!!!!Had something similar happen to me--I paid out of pocket--I told the lady to get an estimate--so she got one from a dealer:realmad: --She was no idiot!!!! Was saying her back hurt--When I told her it was my private vehicle and it was all I owned and if she wanted it it was all hers (82 GMC 3/4 6.2 diesel with mechanicsbody) )--she changed her tune! All it was for damage was a corner cover for a bumper! Part was about $50 her estimate was for $330--This is 1988 money--Today, I would consult my agent and see what they recommend!!!!!--If you have no damage--Give her a call after talking with the agent--sounds like a 50/50--so if she thinks shes at fault--l would let her show her cards--You don't have to give your agent the specifics--They don't want you to file a claim! #1 rule--protect yourself first!!!!! Best of luck!!!

6. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

Talked with agent. They told me that i dont have to do anything just exchange my information. I stated that i had two whitnesses and that she was going to get a quote first. I have been told anything over 750$ that my insurance chould be affected. If its under 750 that my rates will not change. I also was told that if i think that shes at fault to let her file the claim and with my Two whitenesses, i would probably would not be found at fault but its a gamble i have to take. Any suggestions? take the gamble or not.....

7. sir spaniourd

sir spaniourd Senior Member

Take the gamble. I think you have nothing to loose. That's why you have insurance. you are most likely to be covered by your policy and that is a minor incident so don't worry.

8. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

Well the lady called me and told me the damages were 629.37. I went with the gamble and had her file a claim. Then her USAA insurance rep. called me and harassed me for information on the accident. I have not heard anything from my company yet..

9. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Why would you pay her if both of you were backing up? I would think the insurance co will do a 50/50 and no surcharge will be made.

10. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Joe D we are a no fault state(50/50) to some degree-not all states are the same!

11. sir spaniourd

sir spaniourd Senior Member

I believe her insurance doesn't even need to talk to you. Her insurance should talk to your insurance and they will figure it out. I once had an accident. I gave my report to my insurance. They got in touch with the other party and problem solved. I didn't pay extra for my insurance during the following years.

12. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

My first thought is 50/50 but what were you doing when the two vehicles met, had you stopped and she kept coming into you or did she stop and you went into her or were you both moving? Id say that she bears most of the responsibility formally, even more informally as she has alot less to worry about then you, your busy maybe distracted a little, she should understand that and be extra cautious around a working plowtruck. Still, your responsible for your path behind you at all times and unless she came with some speed and backed right into you while you sat there saying "O Sh%t shes going to hit me" its going to be hard to get her ins to pay you.