1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Accident but no claim....yet

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dr_destructo, Feb 10, 2014.

1. dr_destructo

dr_destructo Member
    from Indiana

About 3 weeks ago one of my guys was plowing @ 11pm at a medical center. Just touching up some empty spaces and cleaning up corners. As he was idling backwards just going back into drive to felt somebody hit him. lady had turned in off the street and tried to sneak in behind him to go park. No real damage to our truck. DMI bumper vs. Ford Taurus did not work out well for her. LF fender/hood/headlight wrinkled up good. He immediately called me over there. She called the police. Report filed. I notified my insurance as well the guy we sub the work from. Never heard anything at all for 3 weeks. Last weeks she called me and wanted to know when I was going to fix her car. I told her that her insurance needed to work that out with mine. She said that was my fault and I needed to handle it. She was pretty nasty and hung up. Called my agent and still nothing filed. Noticed the cars already had the opposite headlight busted and the opposite side of the car has a crease down the length of it. My best guess is that she has no insurance or agent to handle the claim. I guess I will just wait things out and see what happens.
  2. First Responder

First Responder Senior Member
    from 48015

I bet your right,no insurance. I wouldn't even take her calls anymore. Police report made, your insurance agent notified....let your agent handle it, that's why we pay them so much $!!!
    My dumper with the Salter was sitting, driver was shoveling entrance to a party store, some guy backed right into it....my truck/salter is fine...but my driver said the guys car wasn't. Funny thing is the guy just took off...my guess, no license,intoxicated, or no insurance. I called police to report it, But since the hit and run was on Private property, there was nothing to make a police report and just to call my insurance company.
  3. NThill93

NThill93 Member

Something similar happened to my friend, but cop wrote it up as her fault for not yielding to his warning lights and her insurance covered the whole thing.
  4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

"I have a dream..." ©MLK
  5. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Are you in a no-fault insurance state? If so you have already done everything you are required to do.
  6. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

What would she be doing calling the cops if she didn't have insurance?
    Who did the police find to be at fault?
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Because they don't think first.
  8. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

If she calls again tell her you'll file harrasment charges against her :bluebounc
  9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I had a woman back into the SIDE of my plow truck as I drove by one year, she had the balls to get out and say "Look what YOU did to my car!" Ummmmmm last I checked, I don't drive sideways. When I told her that she said it was still my fault because the lot should have been plowed earlier. I asked her what if instead of a plow truck she had hit, what if it was a young mother pushing a stroller? She went on to cuss me out and tried to take off, I blocked her in and had the closest tenant call the police for me (I don't remember why I didn't use my cell...?). Another tenant came out with a digital camera and took witness pictures, he's a doctor so I figured his word would be good on my side too.

She had put a small crease about 6" long in the driver's door and across the cab corner. Solid steel dump box took the remainder (scuffed the grey paint). Her Sebring convertible had a hole punched in the trunk lid, wrinkled quarter, and busted taillights. Police report said she was driving with a suspended license... yet they let her drive away. (wtf?)

I informed my insurance but didn't make a claim. Told me I had done my due diligence and not to worry about it. Since it was private property her ins would have to cover her damage. Never heard about it again.
  10. dr_destructo

dr_destructo Member
    from Indiana

The police take statements from both drivers and write that on the report. They do not determine fault, he said they let insurance co. do that!
  11. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Well that's a line of bull... when there is a crash, they need to determine fault in order to assign responsibility and file charges. Insurance, being a private organization, is not qualified to assign fault at all beyond use to assign your rates and calculate eligibility for coverage.
  12. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like she ran into the back of your truck?

She would be at fault, thats how it always go's..
  13. dr_destructo

dr_destructo Member
    from Indiana

Correct, she ran into the rear bumper. Even with 4-corner strobes and a flood light wired on when in reverse!