1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Accident and now thinking

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by DodgeBlizzard, Dec 24, 2005.

1. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

slid on the ice last week into a mini-van to the tune of $3,000.00 in damage to the rear of the my Dodge truck. Got me to thinking....tired of little bumps causing lots of repair costs. Thought about how if I hit it with the dump truck, it would have been a minimal dent at best. So it got me to looking at different bumpers/truck bodies and saw a nice toolbox/bed combo like from Reading truck body. Do you think it would be possible to take the insurance money, and instead of repairing, throw some more money into the mix and replace the truck body with a different setup? I made a call to the insurance guy, but with the holiday, he hasn't returned my call yet. He did say before about he needed to know what garage was going to do the repair, before we could get started. So I'm thinking maybe the check will be made out to the body shop????

2. bobingardner

bobingardner Senior Member

Are there any liens against the truck? If there are the answer is yes, they won't pay you directly.

However I've been in this situation and by meeting the following criteria I was able to get direct payment.

1. I owned the car

2. I notified the insurance company that the car was not going to be fixed.

3. I was willing to settle for 80% of the estimated repair cost.

So they sent a me a ceck but Ford Credit had not notified them that the loan had been paid off so they made the check out to me and Ford Credit. That made it impossible to cash and Ford Credit said there was nothing they could do to help. The insurance company said they couldn't do anything without something in writing from Ford Credit saying the loan was paid.
    There wasn't a lot of money involved so I never cashed the check. About a year later the insurance called and asked why I hadn't cashed the check and I told them it was because it was made out to me and Ford Credit. The car was paid off and Ford said they couldn't help. The insurance company contacted Ford Credit and verified that the loan had been paid. They sent me another check with just my name on it a few days later.

Edit:

On another occaision I called the insurance company and asked if I could get the truck painted a differed color and pick up any addition cost. The answer was NO!!!!! It has to be fixed exactly the way it was or no money for you! Insurance stinks.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2005
  3. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Yes it is paid for, so no lien agains the title. The bed is just starting to rust a little bit around the wheel wells, so that was another reason I was considering this. Thanks for the response.

4. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Ya around here anyways I know the insurance company will give you a little less money and just pay you instead of getting it fixed. A guy I know fixes peoples cars after they do this, in his garage at home and he makes money and the people get to keep a good chunk of their insurance and there cars get fixed.

5. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

They should give you the full amount that it costs to fix it. I have done that in the past, not repaired and just took the cash. The insurance co. doesnt care what you do with the money, because they are paying you for what the repair costs which is equal to the diminished value of your truck. For $3000 you can get a really nice flat bed or service body. Save even more and do the install yourself.

6. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

I agree with Mark, they should (and are obligated) to pay the full cost of the repair. They have standards for labor and materials on this stuff so the body shop shouldn't matter either, or sometimes they'll get 3 estimates. Either way, when I hit a deer I had an extra fender and wanted to get a tube bumper and it was no problem, I still got the estimated amount.