1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

accessory heaters

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by turbo5560, Jan 2, 2009.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

not sure where to post this, but i am renting a CAT 904 for the winter and while it does have heat that keeps the windows defrosted and my hands warm my feet nearly get frost bit even with winter boots on. I was looking into getting some type of 12V heater but didn't know if one it would be too much for a little loader like that and two if there are any decent heaters out there. The little looking that i have done say that aren't much good and some even start on fire. A point in the right direction would be appreciated! Thanks!
  2. speedy

speedy Senior Member

Have you talked to the dealer yoou're renting from? They should be able to put out enough heat to keep your feet toasty. Are the vents directed at the floor open? Is there a duct off between the heater core and the vent? Are the valves from the engine to the heater core fully open? Is there a floor mat? I've never operated a 904 in the wineter, but our older 936's would put out good heat, except in the instances I pointed out above. The floor mat is especially noticeable on the feet....when it's -30 and wind and only a checkerplate floor between your boots and the elements, it's a losing battle. I shelled out the $300 for a factory floor mat, but a chunk of carpet trimmed to fit would do in a pinch.

If the above is no help and you have to revert to suplementary heat. How about a 2000 Watt inverter and a small ceramic heater: 1500 Watt, 120 volt. Fan and high/low heat settings. They wire direct to the barrtery instead of the cigarette lighter. I doubt you can get enoough amperage out of the cig lighter to deliver a decent amount of heat.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  3. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

im not renting it from a dealer, but there is a floor mat and there is no vent on the floor. It has a vent on the front window, the rear window, and one right by the joystick, but nothing on the floor. I was wondering if i did get a 12v heater would it even function well because i thought that the alternators on the compact loaders are pretty small as is.
  4. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

I just bought a little john deer 2320 for doing walks in a large mall we are doing. The deere dealer put a curtis cab on it with electric heat my guy plows in it all night long wearing only his shirt. I will repost if I find out if they are available
  5. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

check you pm i sent you some info on what we use
  6. justinzich

justinzich Member

I don't know what the answer is, but I feel your pain. It was -8 today and I had it so hot in the cab of our S205 that I was sweating in a t-shirt, but my feet were freezing. I looked and there was actually frost on the metal by me feet. Not a heat output, but a heat placement problem. You would think stuff engineered in ND would have a better heater.
  7. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

start by putting down a thick rubber mat. then grab a 12v fan and put it at the top of the cab blowing down towards your feet. Make sure the door has good rubber seal on it, or you will find lots of cold air coming into the cab.

Those 12v heaters are junk, I have never found one that put out decent heat and they pull lots of power.
  8. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Was in my skid today, I have a aftermarket heater in it. The heater sits behind the seat. Ran a heater duct hose to the windshield and one to the are where my feet are. My feet still get a little cold. I think cold feet are from walking in the snow and your shoes getting wet. The area where your feet are has metal around them and this part of the cab is always close to the snow. The biggest problem is heat rises and where your feet are are the lowest point in the cab. I have noticed that cold affects people different, some people have cold feet, other arms etc. My wife gave me some battery operate sock to keep them warm, but have never tried them.
  9. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

12v hearter from jcwhitney.com like 80 bucks works great in our 966
  10. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

we did what Murphys Law suggested works real well